Sunday, January 03, 2010

YOU KILLED MY FATHER- PREPARE TO DIE!

II SAM. 21:15-22

Adapted from Johnny Pope by Pastor Rick Jackson

I. LESSONS FROM DAVID [v. 15]

1. The Battle is Ongoing [Eph. 6:10-18]

2. The Spirit is Willing [Matthew 26:41]

Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

3. The Flesh is Weak [Rm. 7:14-25]

II. LESSONS FROM ISHBIBENOB [v. 16]

Understand the picture- David is an older man now. He learned his lesson about NOT going to war. He goes to war and during the battle he turns to see a massive man who could easily have said to him, "My name is Ishbi-benob. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

1. The Enemy is Strong [Matthew 12:28-29]

But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

2. The Enemy is Prepared [Ephesians 6:11]

Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Ephesians 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;


3. The Enemy is Motivated [1 Peter 5:8]

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

III. THE LESSONS FROM ABISHAI [v. 17-22]

1. The Lord Provides Our Help [v. 17]

Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
2 Chronicles 14:11 And Asa cried unto the LORD his God, and said, LORD, it is nothing with thee to help, whether with many, or with them that have no power: help us, O LORD our God; for we rest on thee, and in thy name we go against this multitude. O LORD, thou art our God; let not man prevail against thee.

2. The Lord Prioritizes Our Place [v. 17]

Acts 6:2 Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables.

3. The Lord Provides Our Purpose [v. 18-22]

1 Samuel 17:29 And David said, What have I now done? Is there not a cause?
John 12:27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.
John 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.
Titus 1:5 For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'