The obvious and correct answer is "God". Why then do so many balk when standards are high?
Think before you answer these.
These things being true whose standard should we follow?
I. THE HIGH STANDARD OF GOD IN SALVATION
1. We must exceed the best people in righteousness (Gandhi, Buddha, etc.) [Mt. 5:17-20]
2. We must exceed the best we can do [Lk. 10:25-29]
3. We must accept the best Heaven has provided [Lk. 18:18-27]
II. THE HIGH STANDARD OF GOD IN CONSECRATION
1. Settle your salvation by faith in Him [Phil. 3:8-9]
2. Settle your sanctification by faith in Him [Phil. 3:10-11]
3. Set your sights high by faith in Him [Phil. 3:12-14]
III. THE HIGH STANDARD OF GOD IN EXPECTATION
1. Be open to God's leading [Phil. 3:15]
2. Beware of the sin of backsliding [Phil. 3:16]
3. Be steady [Phil. 3:17-21]