Sunday, May 09, 2010

WORDS TO LIVE BY

Proverbs 25:11 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.

Pastor Rick Jackson

Some people have a “life motto” or in some cases several life mottos. A phrase or phrases by which they are reminded how they want to live. Davy Crockett’s life mottos was “Be sure you’re right and then go ahead.” Lee Roberson’s motto was probably “Die to self.” I have several that have helped me over the years- especially during the last decade or so. “I am Doing Better than I deserve”, “For This I have Jesus” and “I absolutely refuse to worry.” Brother Roloff had 2 that come to mind, “Living By Faith” and “I’d just as soon cuss as worry- both are sins!”

The three phrases I want to share with you this morning may not have been the life mottoes of these individuas but if you examine their lives you will see they well could have been.

I. “He must increase but I must decrease” [John 3:30]

1. John Knew where his blessings originated [v. 28]

2. John Didn’t Try to be What He Wasn’t [v. 29]

3. John Found His Joy in serving Christ [v. 30-31]

II. “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” [Philippians 1:21]

1. Paul desired the furtherance of the Gospel [v. 12-18]

2. Paul believed in the Power of Prayer [v. 19-20a]

3. Paul put his life in God’s Hands [v. 20b-29]

III. “Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.” [John 2:5]

1. Mary Put No Part of her life out of Jesus’ Will

2. Mary Paid Attention to the Words of the Lord Jesus

3. Mary Submitted to the Will of Christ

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'