Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Direct Me and Correct Me

 
Bill Rice Ranch - First Light Devotionals 

Jeremiah 10:23-24 "O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O LORD, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing."
 
My daughter received a doll catalog in the mail with the slogan, "Follow Your Inner Star!" My first thought was, "What does that mean? I thought they were selling dolls, not fortune cookies!" In all seriousness, that slogan is the philosophy of the world. The wise men followed God's star and found the Son (Matthew 2), but if you follow your star-if you follow yourself-you will end up at yourself.
 
We have swallowed the world's idea to "follow your heart." That is pure nonsense! It sounds a little crass to say, "Do whatever you want," so we make some magical-sounding phrase like "follow your inner star." The second phrase sounds better, whether you are talking about fortune cookies, doll magazines, or your own life-but it all boils down to the philosophy of "do what you want."
 
Jeremiah 10:23-24 reminds us that "the way of man is not in himself." I am responsible for walking, but it is not my job to direct. I am responsible for "driving," but I am not the One giving the directions! These verses give us a two-fold prayer that is worthy of praying today: "O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself . . . O LORD, correct me. . . ." In essence, Jeremiah was saying, "God, direct me and correct me."
 
The first part of the prayer is, "Lord, direct me." In verse 23, Jeremiah admits that "the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." You'll find the same truth stated specifically in the Bible, like in the Proverbs (see chapter 16). Can you honestly say that God is directing you? In your attitudes? In what you watch on television? In the way you frame yourself to others?
 
The second part of the prayer is, "Lord, correct me." The first part was implied, but this part is amplified! Are you so consumed with wanting God to direct you that you would ask God to correct you if you are not going the right way? I never like asking somebody to whack me over the head; but it is folly to say, "God, direct me" and then have trouble with His authority in my life! This morning, can you honestly pray, "God, correct me?"
 
The people in Jeremiah's day were steeped in idolatry, and God said, "But they are altogether brutish and foolish: the stock is a doctrine of vanities." (verse 8) That phrase "doctrine of vanities" describes a lot of churches and a lot of Christians today. They are following something empty--something like "follow your inner star"--but it means nothing. Are you trusting God to direct you, or are you following yourself?

"God, direct me and correct me"--that is a prayer worth praying this morning!
 
Missed a First Light?  Browse the archives here: firstlight-blog 
 
 
 
Bill Rice Ranch | 627 Bill Rice Ranch Road | Murfreesboro | TN | 37128

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'