Sunday, October 22, 2023

ARE YOU TALKING TO YOURSELF?

EPH. 5:19

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

Someone has said, “Of course I talk to myself. Sometimes I need expert advice.” And while that is humorous, talking to ourselves can be serious business. There are those times when we need to have a little talk with ourselves. Some Bible characters did just that as we shall see.

 

I. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY TO YOURSELF IN THE HOUR OF SUFFERING [Job 5:7]

Eliphaz the Temanite noted “Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward.”

 

1. Have the Right Attitude [Psalm 77:6, Phil. 4:11-13]

- I call to remembrance my song in the night: I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search.

-Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Wrong things to say - “why me?” “I quit” “I guess I’m just out of God’s will”

 

2. Have the Right Aptitude [1 Samuel 30:6, Romans 8:28]

-David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.

-And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Right things to say - “Lord what do you have in this for me?”

 

3. Have the Right Altitude [Ph. 4:6-7]

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

“God give me grace” “not my will but thine”                                     God gives Promises NOT Explanations!

 

II. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY TO YOURSELF IN THE HOUR OF SUCCESS

 

1. The Wrong Thing to Say [Daniel 4:28-33]


2. The Right Thing to Say [ [Daniel 4:34-37]


3. The Right Way to Be [Psalm 77:6]

I call to remembrance my song in the night: I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search.

Genesis 37-50 – Joseph in the OT- his response was the same in the pit, in the prison, in the palace –his character didn’t change, his faith didn’t falter, his witness didn’t dim. We need to keep our priorities straight. Some quit tithing when they begin to make more money, some quit tithing if they begin to make less money, some just right down the line.                                                                        Never question Biblical principles!

 

III. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY TO YOURSELF IN THE HOUR OF DECISION

 

1. Salvation [Rom. 10:9-13]

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

 

2. Sin [Genesis 39:7-9]

And it came to pass after these things, that his master's wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me. But he refused, and said unto his master's wife, Behold, my master wotteth not what is with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand; There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?

 

3. Sanctification & Service [Joshua 24:15, 1 Peter 3:15, Nehemiah 5:7]

-And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

-But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

-Then I consulted with myself.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'