Monday, October 16, 2023

RECIPE FOR CONTENTMENT

1 Tm. 6:2b-12

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

Going through my papers I came across a 5 by 8 card with the word “Contentment” written across the top in my Grandfather Loudon’s handwriting. Underneath that was written 3 points- the 3 major points of our message tonight. Granddad was an early encourager in my faith when some other family members were against it.

 

I. Contentment is Based on “Realizing God has given everything I Need for my present happiness.”

 

1. The Bible Sets the Standard for Self-Esteem [1 Tm. 6:2b-6]

 

2. The Bible Sets the Standard for Physical Need [1 Tm. 6:6-10]

 

3. The Bible Sets the Standard for Spiritual Need [1 Tm. 6:9-14]

 

II. Contentment Realizes “If I’m not satisfied with what I have, I probably would not be satisfied with what I want.”

 

1.  The Forever Unsatisfied [Proverbs 27:20, Eccles. 5:10]

- Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.

- He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.

 

2. The Present Satisfaction [Psalm 65:1-4, Matthew 10:23-26, Romans 5:1]

- Praise waiteth for thee, O God, in Sion: and unto thee shall the vow be performed. O thou that hearest prayer, unto thee shall all flesh come. Iniquities prevail against me: as for our transgressions, thou shalt purge them away. Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts: we shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy temple.

- But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come. The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord. It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household? Fear them not therefore: for there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known.

- THEREFORE being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

 

3.  The Future Satisfaction [Psalm 17:15, 1 John 3:2]

- As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

-Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

 

“Learn to be satisfied with whatever state you’re in” [Philippians 4:11]

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

 

III. Contentment is “Knowing the more I release earthly possessions the more I can appreciate what is inside -that is important.”

 

1. The Perception of Contentment [2 Cor. 4:18]

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

 

2. The Philosophy of Contentment [Mt. 6:25]

Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

 

3. The Person of Contentment [Mt. 6:26-34]

Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'