Monday, July 20, 2020

PROPER PRAYER PREPARATION


                              

[The Basics of Christianity #6]                                    

James 5:13-18

Pastor Rick Jackson

I. HONEST CONFESSION

We need to agree with God and:

1. Believe Every Bible promise concerning prayer [1:1-5, John 14:13-14]

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
Mark 11:22-24 And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God. For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

2. Realize we have Great Needs [1:6-7, Jn. 15:5]

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing .

3. Admit we do Not Pray as we Ought [4:2-3, 1 Th. 5:17, Gethsemane]

Pray without ceasing.

II. SOUND DECLARATION                                             

As we consider praying, we know:

1. That God loves us [1 Jn. 4:10, Jn. 3:16]

Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

2. That God Desires the Best for us [Rm. 5:8-10]

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
“Our blessed Lord will permit only as much trouble in our lives as will be for His glory and for our profit.” ― Walter L. Wilson

3. That God has a Will for our lives [4:4-10, Eph. 5:17, 6:6-7, Mt. 7:21]

Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men:

4. That God answers Prayer [Jer. 33:3]

Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

III. POSITIVE ACCEPTATION

1. I Must Accept God’s Word on Prayer [Phil. 4:6-7]

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

2. I Must give myself to fervent Prayer [James 5:16]

3. I Must Pray for Others [5:14, 1 Sam. 12:23]

Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way:

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'