Friday, October 23, 2015

John R. Rice Quotes of the Week

I am not boasting in a salvation that I can keep by "paying the price." Thank God, Christ Himself has already paid the price for my eternal redemption. I did not deserve salvation before I got it. I have never deserved it thirty seconds since. It was all grace at first. It is all grace now. - John R. Rice



We know that the Holy Spirit dwells in every believer since the day Jesus rose from the dead and was glorified and came and breathed on the disciples and said, "Receive ye the Holy Ghost" (John 7:37-39; 20:19-22). The Holy Spirit now abides in every saved person. - John R. Rice


"They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength," says Isaiah 40:31.
Your discouragement is really just a lack of God's nearness and assurance. Waiting on God will cure it! I rather think that discouragement is a sin, the sin of lack of faith. But I know discouragement is the fruit of sin. It comes of the sin of not waiting on God! One reason Jesus was never discouraged was that He was always waiting on the Father! - John R. Rice


It is wonderful to come to realize that God is the master of circumstances. I asked a preacher friend how he was getting along, and he replied, "Oh, very well, under the circumstances." I replied at once, "You ought to get out from under the circumstances. A Christian is not under circumstances, but under grace!" - John R. Rice


Woe be to the preacher who preaches the gospel without blood! And woe be to the sinner who seeks any plan of salvation that does not depend wholly on the blood of Jesus Christ, God's Son, for sinners slain! - John R. Rice

Once an exasperated wife told me how she quarreled with her husband for drinking and said that it seemed he did not want to do right or he would leave liquor alone. How little she knew of the power of temptation and the torment of thirst! Drunkards are not always so by choice, as I well know. God has given me the confidence of many drinking men; I have seen hundreds of drunkards converted, thank God, and I know. Drinking is often weakness, not viciousness. Once the drunkard could have left it alone and should have, God knows. But now he is a slave who hates his bonds and longs to be free, but sometimes he cannot except by the mercy and redeeming power of Christ. - John R. Rice

Jesus thirsted on the cross but did not satisfy His thirst. He must not cheat death but must taste death for every man. For our sake the holy thirst of Jesus was unsatisfied. How fitting, then, that every one of us should form a high resolve not to give way to temptation, not to drink when we ought not to drink.
Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank (Dan. 1:8).
I beg everybody who re...ads this, every man, yea, every boy and girl and woman, to promise God now, "I resolve, by the holy thirst of Jesus and by the victory He purchased for me, not to defile myself with alcoholic drink!"! Why not write that out in your Bible and sign it today, and then by the grace of God and with the succoring help of Christ, keep it until the day you die! Do it today. - John R. Rice

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'