Sunday, December 26, 2010

WHY CAN’T EVERY DAY BE LIKE CHRISTMAS?

Psalm 118:24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Pastor Rick Jackson

If you try to boil Christmas down to 3 basic ingredients in a general sense I think you would find those ingredients to be The Gifts of Christmas, the Spirit of Christmas, and the Celebration of Christmas though not necessarily in that order. Even the world acknowledges these 3 aspects but we Christians hopefully lean toward a more spiritual version. In answer to the question, Every day can be like Christmas. The Gifts, the Spirit and the Celebration of Christmas can continue.

I. THE GIFTS OF CHRISTMAS [2 Corinthians 9:15]

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

1. God Daily Offers Salvation

Isaiah 49:8 Thus saith the LORD, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;
2 Corinthians 6:2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

2. God Daily Gives [Psalm 68:19]

Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah.

3. God Daily Hears our Prayers [Psalm 86:3]

Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily.
Psalm 88:9 Mine eye mourneth by reason of affliction: LORD, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched out my hands unto thee.

4. God Daily Gives Us Bread [Matthew 6:11, 33-34] Give us this day our daily bread.

5. God Daily Speaks Through the Gift of His Word [Pr. 8:33-34]

Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not. Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.

II. THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS

The cheerfulness, the joy, the love, the peace on earth… [Gal. 5:13-26] Not only can we have it- we are commanded to have it!

III. THE CELEBRATION OF CHRISTMAS [Col. 3:12-13]

1. Giving & Receiving [v. 14-15]

2. Singing [v. 16]

3. Decorations [v. 17]

What better decorations than letting our light shine [Mt. 5:14-15]

Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

And to let our life be decorated with good works [v. 16] Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

So Christmas can be celebrated on a daily basis. As Ebenezer Scrooge said in Dickens’ A Christmas Carol in repentance, “I will honor Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all the year.”
And Dickens closes by saying, Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all and infinitely more… and it was always said of him that he knew how to keep Christmas well if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us!”

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'