Friday, August 14, 2009

The Testimony of Henry Hodges- "the World's Oldest Teen-ager"



It all started back in 1962- I went to the First Baptist Church at Lawtey [FL] to see a girl. It was the only place I could go to see her (or at her house). I didn't care anything about that "watered down" preaching. My daddy was a Hardshell Baptist- I thought I was alright because of that. Anyway, I went to see a girl, that's all. I didn't know anything about Romans 10:17 and I'd never heard a clear presentation of the Gospel before.





Anyway, I was there to be with a girl. The power of the Word Tommy Howe was preaching wasn't watered down! I started following with him as he read from THE BOOK! The Word got to bothering me, I just couldn't get away from it. The next two months I fought the greatest battle I've ever fought, and I've fought some big battles in my time.

The Hodges were a very tough family. We were noted for fighting, drinking, etc. ... just a rough bunch. I was kind of like Jacob when he wrestled with the LORD--- maybe all night. My fight lasted about eight weeks and it was very one-sided. I would get knocked down but thank goodness I'd always get up. I could see I was losing every round but I would not give up. I never dreamed I was up against the World Champion who had never lost a fight. I had much, much to learn about a lot of things. No inner peace, no sleep, couldn't think or concentrate on my work and nothing seemed to go right... at my wits end... the Savior came in.

I threw in the towel and surrendered to Him. I told Him that night in the back room of our old unceiled run-down house I'd do whatever he wanted me to do and I'd go wherever He needed me to go. Did I lose the fight? Not really--- I gained HEAVEN! Maybe the Lord likes fighters- someone that'll stand in the gap and take up the hedge.

It's been a good ride the last 48 years. It just keeps getting better and better, almost more than a person can stand in this mortal body. The next day after I came to the Lord things seemed so different. The grass, the trees looked greener, the air smelled fresher. It was almost like I was in another world and really- I was (the real world)!

I started thing about my future in Christ. What would He want me to do? Did I need to clean up my life? Was I to live for Him? So many things came to mind, so I went immediately to the Book. It seemed I couldn't put the Book down.

I believe I came to Christ late in the week... I could not hardly wait for the invitation Sunday morning. Of course I stood before the church and everyone came down and shook my hand. One thing stood out to me. I was called "Brother Henry" now and not just "Mr. Henry."

Note from Rick Jackson, Henry's Pastor: Brother Henry shared with me his testimony just as you have read it here. He had written it down on some old Sunday School lessons and I asked him if I could blog it. He graciously conceded. Henry is the type man every pastor needs in his church. He is a prayer warrior, a soul-winner, a student of the Book and a Christian gentleman. I am honored to call him my brother and my friend. He is also a poet. Readers of this blog know I preached a series not to long ago on "I Think I'll Just Go On Anyway". Henry was inspired to write a poem during that series, given here for your blessing:

I MUST GO ON ANYWAY
by Henry
Sometimes I am on the mountain high
Then comes troubles where I lie.
But I must go on anyway.
Tomorrow will start a brand new day
Some will stop along the way
But I think I'll go on anyway.
People may scoff at what I say
But I think I'll go on anyway.
You can stop or you can stay
But I must go on any way.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'