Monday, December 26, 2022

A CHRISTMAS TO DIE FOR

LUKE 2:21-35                                 

 

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

People sometimes say strange things. “That food is to die for.” Really? “If Christmas doesn’t get here soon, I’m going to die!” Really? But here we have a man who actually said he was ready to die after he learned about the first Christmas and my friends, he meant it!

 

I. ARE YOU READY TO DIE?

 

 1. Do You Know the God-sent Saviour? [v. 25, 30, Jn. 3:16-18]

 

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

 

2. Have You Finished the Will of God for Your Life? [v. 26-29, 2 Tm. 4:6-8]

 

For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

 

3. Are You Content to Let God Choose the Time? [v. 28-29, Col. 3:15-17] Let God be God!

 

And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

 

II. ARE YOU READY TO LIVE BY DYING TO SELF?

 

1. It is God’s Salvation [v. 30, Ps. 119:41, Jonah 2:9]           Jonah 2:9 Salvation is of the LORD.

 

Psalm 119:41 Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word.

 

2. It is God’s Solution [v. 31-2a, 1 Corinthians 1:18]

 

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

 

3. It is God’s Glory [v. 32b]

 

III. ARE YOU READY TO WIN BY SURRENDERING

 

1. The Choice is Between Falling or Rising [v. 33-34, Dan. 12:2, Mt. 3:11]

 

And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

 

2. The Choice is Believing or Rejecting [v. 34b, Joshua 24:15]

 

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

 

3. The Choice is to Be a Bible Christian or a Hypocrite [v. 35, Heb. 4:12]

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'