Monday, May 31, 2021

WHEN CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS GO TO WAR

EPHESIANS 6:10-12                                          


Pastor Rick Jackson

 

I. WHEN SOLDIERS GO TO WAR THERE SHOULD BE A CAUSE

 

1. The Cause Is Right [1 Sam. 17:29] And David said, What have I now done? Is there not a cause?

 

2. The Commander is Righteous [Joshua 5:14]

 

And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?

 

3. The Conflict is Revealing [Rev. 12]

 

II. WHEN SOLDIERS GO TO WAR THERE IS A COST

 

1. It Is Difficult [2 Timothy 2:3]

 

Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

 

2. It Is Demanding [2 Timothy 2:4]

 

No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

 

3. It Is Daunting [Luke 14:31-35]

 

Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace. So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath , he cannot be my disciple. Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned? It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; but men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

 

The war may cost you to lose popularity, friends, your job, etc. “I’m sorry, there’s a war going on”

 

III. WHEN SOLDIERS GO TO WAR THERE ARE CASUALTIES [Heb. 11:32-40]

 

And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. Women received their dead raised to life again : and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword : they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins ; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

 

1. Land (possessions) [Num. 21:21-26]

And Israel sent messengers unto Sihon king of the Amorites, saying, Let me pass through thy land: we will not turn into the fields, or into the vineyards; we will not drink of the waters of the well: but we will go along by the king's high way, until we be past thy borders. And Sihon would not suffer Israel to pass through his border: but Sihon gathered all his people together, and went out against Israel into the wilderness: and he came to Jahaz, and fought against Israel. And Israel smote him with the edge of the sword, and possessed his land from Arnon unto Jabbok, even unto the children of Ammon: for the border of the children of Ammon was strong. And Israel took all these cities: and Israel dwelt in all the cities of the Amorites, in Heshbon, and in all the villages thereof. For Heshbon was the city of Sihon the king of the Amorites, who had fought against the former king of Moab, and taken all his land out of his hand, even unto Arnon.

 

2. Limb [Judges 1:4-7] And Judah went up; and the LORD delivered the Canaanites and the Perizzites into their hand: and they slew of them in Bezek ten thousand men. And they found Adonibezek in Bezek: and they fought against him, and they slew the Canaanites and the Perizzites. But Adonibezek fled; and they pursued after him, and caught him, and cut off his thumbs and his great toes. And Adonibezek said, Threescore and ten kings, having their thumbs and their great toes cut off, gathered their meat under my table: as I have done, so God hath requited me. And they brought him to Jerusalem, and there he died.

 

3. Life Itself [John 10:14-18, 15:13]

 

I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Exodus 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'