DEUTERONOMY 14 Pastor Rick Jackson
I. FROM THE SOURCE [v. 1-3]
1. The Relationship Makes a Difference [v. 1a]
2. The Reason Makes a Difference [v. 1b-2a, Titus 2:14]
3. The Responsibility Makes a Difference [v. 2b-3, 1 Peter 2:9]
II. FROM THE INTAKE [v. 3-21]
Some of the dietary restrictions confound us- possible answers include animals used in heathen practices, health reasons, etc. One thing is certain- God’s people were to be different. 1 Tm. 4:1-6
1. From the Land [v. 3-8]
2. From the Sea [v. 9-10]
3. From the Air [v. 11-21]
III. FROM THE OUTLOOK [v. 21-29]
1. A Supernatural Outlook [v. 21a] God said it, that settles it.
2. A Natural Outlook [v. 21b, Rm. 1:26-28, 2:14, 27; 1 Corinthians 11:14]
“The fact that this commandment is given three times, in various connections, is sufficient to mark it as one of special interest and practical importance. The question is, what does it mean? We believe it teaches very plainly that the Lord’s people must carefully avoid everything contrary to nature. Now, it was manifestly contrary to nature that what was intended for a creature’s nourishment should be used to seethe it.” – CHM
3. A Blessed Outlook [v. 22-29, Lk. 6:38] are all strong drinks alcoholic? Coffee isn’t. Assuredly others.