Friday, September 23, 2011

To Give or Get?

 
Bill Rice Ranch - First Light Devotionals 

Nehemiah 5:19 "Think upon me, my God, for good, according to all that I have done for this people."

 

Reading Nehemiah chapters 5-6 are kind of like reading Nehemiah's personal diary! He says in the last verse of chapter 5, "Think upon me, my God, for good, according to all that I have done for this people." That sounds pretty bold, doesn't it? He was asking God to notice the good that he had done!

 

In our world, we are a little more sophisticated about this matter. Instead of going to God about it, we hint to other people and fuss when they don't notice! Was Nehemiah being selfish? Was he complaining to God? Remember this fact about Nehemiah: he was a giver. No one needs more than the person who is giving. When you give more, you need more. When you need more, you can receive more.

 

Nehemiah's very honest request to God was based on his dependence upon God. There was a certain amount of desperation when he prayed, "Now therefore, O God, strengthen my hands." As adults, we generally do not ask for help if we can keep from it. If you never think you are lost, you will never stop and ask for directions! (I've heard of such things happening...)

 

Sometimes, like Nehemiah, I remind the Lord that there are certain things I wouldn't need if I wasn't doing what He asked me to do! Some days I need patience that I wouldn't otherwise need if I wasn't helping His people. Some days I need wisdom that I would not otherwise need if I wasn't responsible for His Ranch here in Tennessee. I'm sure there are similar needs in your life each day.

 

Only people who receive help can give it. When you get the help you need from God, you will have the help you need for others. Getting help from God begins with an openness and honesty before God, coupled with humility and dependence. Follow the example of Nehemiah and ask God for what you need to do what He has called you to do.

 

 

  

Prayer Requests: 

1. Revival services this weekend in Kodiak, AK

2. Ranch evangelists preaching this weekend in Petersburg, IN; Clio, MI; Camp Verde, AZ; Nashville, TN; and Forsyth, GA

 

 

 

Looking for more devotionals?  Visit the archives here

 
 
Bill Rice Ranch | 627 Bill Rice Ranch Road | Murfreesboro | TN | 37128

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'