Sunday, September 11, 2011

THE LESSONS OF THE TOWERS

LUKE 13:1-9

Pastor Rick Jackson

Today marks the 10th anniversary of one of the great tragedies ever to happen in our country- the attack on the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. In our Scripture today we see a smaller tragedy involving a tower. What are some of the lessons of the towers?

I. THE TRAGEDY OF TRAGEDIES [v. 1-3]

The fact that we have tragedies is in itself a tragedy. Where do they come from?

1. Some are Caused by Men [v. 1]9-11, abortion, war, terrorism

2. Some are So-called Acts of God [v. 3a]

3. All are a Result of Sin [Romans 8:18-22]

II. THE JUDGEMENT OF JESUS [v. 2-5]

John 8:16 And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.

1. The Challenge to Man’s Thinking [v. 2-3a, 4-5a]

2. The Correction to Man’s Thinking [v. 3, 5] All men are sinners

3. The Caution to Man’s Thinking [v. 2-5] Death comes to all- don’t think it can’t happen to you!

III. THE HEART OF THE HUSBANDMAN [v. 7-11]

John 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

1. The Desire of Jesus [6-7] Conduct, converts, character.

Luke 3:9 And now also the ax is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Luke 6:43-44 For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.
Luke 8:8 And other fell on good ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold. And when he had said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
Luke 8:14-15 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection. But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.
John 4:36 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.
Romans 6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
Romans 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Philippians 4:17 Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account.
Hebrews 13:15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.
James 3:18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
Jude 1:12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

2. The Delay of Judgment [v. 8, John 15:2]

Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

3. The Danger of Judgment [v. 9]

John 12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.
John 15:2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
John 15:4-5 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
John 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'