Sunday, September 06, 2009

THE COMFORTER & HIS WORKING IN US

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Pastor Rick Jackson*

I. WHY DO WE NEED COMFORT?

1. Because of Our Hateful Environment [John 15:18-19]

If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

2. Because of our Hostile Enemy [I Pt. 5:8]

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

3. Because of Our Hurtful Sinful Nature [1 Peter 2:11]

Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

II. WHAT DO WE HAVE IN THE COMFORTER?

1. A Reality in Our Relationship [Jn. 14:16-18] orphanos= parentless:--comfortless, fatherless

2. A Remembrance of His Word [Jn. 14:26]

3. A Reminder of His Presence [Jn. 15:26, 16:7]

III. WHAT CAN WE DO IN & THROUGH HIM?

1. Comfort as we have been Comforted [2 Corinthians 1:4]

Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

2. Comfort a Repentant Brother [2 Corinthians 2:7]

So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.

3. Comfort by Caring [2 Corinthians 7:6-7]

Nevertheless God, that comforteth those that are cast down, comforted us by the coming of Titus; And not by his coming only, but by the consolation wherewith he was comforted in you, when he told us your earnest desire, your mourning, your fervent mind toward me; so that I rejoiced the more.
Ephesians 6:22 Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that ye might know our affairs, and that he might comfort your hearts.
Colossians 4:8 Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that he might know your estate, and comfort your hearts;

Exemplified in Thessalonians: I Th. 2:11, 3:2, 4:18, 5:11; II Th. 2:17

*adapted from a message I heard Brother J. Don Jennings preach August 1986

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'