Wednesday, December 31, 2008

DO YOU KNOW YOUR 3 R's?

Pastor Rick Jackson

As we stand on the threshold of a new year let us be mindful of the three Rs. No, I don't mean "readin', 'ritin', and 'rithmetic". I do mean "Resolutions, Revolutions, & Revelations"!
Let's think first of all about:

I. RESOLUTIONS

The inspiration for this message was actually when someone told me they never made resolutions. Now, everybody should make resolutions and I think probably most of us do. We may not make "New Years" resolutions but anytime you resolve to quit doing something you shouldn't, or you resolve to do something you ought do... you are making resolutions! I have failed at many resolutions over the years but then again I have succeeded in enough that I will continue to strive to be better to the glory of God.

Is that not what the Holy Spirit meant for us when he spake through the old warrior Paul, "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you."?

Let us then:

1. Resolve to Believe [Acts 27:25]

Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me.

2. Resolve to Behave [Micah 6:8]

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

3. Resolve to Beseech [Psalm 116:4]

Then called I upon the name of the LORD; O LORD, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.

-Beseech the Lord! [Psalm 118:25] Save now, I beseech thee, O LORD: O LORD, I beseech thee,
send now prosperity.

-Beseech Christians! [Romans 12:1] I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

-Beseech sinners! [2 Corinthians 5:20] Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

Not only should we think of Resolutions we should consider the right kind of:

II. REVOLUTIONS [Eph. 2:1-10, 4:22-32ff]

1. Revolt against the World system!

2. Revolt against the Devil!

3. Revolt against the Flesh, the old nature!

That brings us to the third "R". Let us consider:

III. REVELATIONS

1. God has revealed Himself in the Word Inscripturated [Rm. 16:25-27]

Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen .

2. God has revealed Himself in the Word Incarnate! [1 Timothy 3:16]

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.]

3. Let God be revealed by putting His Word In Action [2 Corinthians 4:11]

For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.


No comments:

 
mobile='yes'