Sunday, November 09, 2008

ELECTIONS & GOD'S ELECT

Pastor Rick Jackson

Like many of you I was both pleased and displeased with the results of Tuesday's elections. Some people I wanted in office did not get elected. Some people I voted for did get elected. Some amendments I voted for were passed (as well as some in other states I was pulling for but couldn't cast a vote). For me elections have nothing to do with race or party but everything to do with right and principles.

So, now someone is going into office and you didn't vote for them. You don't like them and you don't like what they stand for. What do you do?

I. THERE SHOULD BE A CONSIDERED RESPECT

Consider this, even if you don't like the person you should respect the Office.

1. This was Paul's consideration [Acts 23:1-5]

2. This was Michael's consideration [Jude 1:9] Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

3. This was Jesus's consideration [Jn. 19:8-11]

II. THERE SHOULD BE A CALCULATED RESPONSE

1. There is the Rule of Conscientious Duty [Rm. 13:1-7]

2. There is Room for Conscientious Objections [Acts 4:18-21]

3. There is the Responsibility for Careful Confrontation [II Sam. 12:1, 7ff]

III. THERE SHOULD BE A CHRISTIAN REGARD

1. Prayer is a Christian Duty [I Sam. 12:13-25]

2. Power is a Divine Prerogative [Hosea 13:9-11]

3. Prayer is a Protective Hedge [I Tm. 2:1-8]

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'