Sunday, April 16, 2006

Feelings

A close family member wrote to me concerning part of an earlier blog, "One question I have for you though - what do you mean by "feelings". I agree with you that when our feeling conflict with clear scripture there is a problem, but as you know I put a lot of stock in being led by the inspiration of the Holy Ghost and I know you do to (as I remember that is how you determined you were called to the ministry)."

Here's my response. No names have been given because I didn't need too!

How are you feeling? (Just kidding.) As you may have surmised I was not saying all feelings are wrong. Likewise not all feelings are right. Specifically (as you said and I had pointed out) when feelings conflict with Scripture or fact then feelings are unreliable. "Feelings come and feelings go, and feelings are deceiving. I'll put my faith in God's own Word, naught else is worth believing." I talk to a lot of people who "feel" they must do something to earn righteousness to go to Heaven but as God's Word says "All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags" (Is. 64:6), and "As it is written, There is none righteousness, no, not one" (Rom. 3:10). "...for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe "(Gal. 3:21b-22). So no one is righteous and can gain Heaven by the law but only by believing in the atoning work of God incarnate, Jesus Christ. Feelings to the contrary are generated by the world, the flesh, or the devil.

Are all feelings wrong? As long as feelings are controlled by the Word of God and not vice-versa we can use them. I may feel like punching the lights out of an idiot that desperately deserves it but facts may prevent that (he's stronger than me) or the Scriptures forbid it (Vengeance is mine saith the Lord, I will repay). But feelings can be a positive thing, I have deep feelings for my wife of almost 30 years. her kiss still takes my breath away. Praise God for feelings!

Oh, and for the record, No, feelings did not lead me into the ministry. The definite call of God led me to the ministry. Feelings really had little to do with it, except I "felt" I must respond to His call in the affirmative. What about the call? "Did He speak to you?", you may ask. Well, that will have to wait for another blog. At least that's how I feel about it.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'