Sunday, October 09, 2022

GET OUT OF THE BOAT!

MATTHEW 14:22-33

 

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

Simon Peter has been both eulogized for walking on the water and criticized for sinking but one thing is for sure – he got out of the boat. You are never going to walk on water if you don’t get out of the boat. The other disciples did not even get out of the boat. They missed that particular blessing. There are blessings in this life that you can only have if you get out of the boat. I don’t know what that might be for you. It might be witnessing. It might be singing. It might be giving a public testimony. It might be going to the mission field, answering God’s call for service, volunteering to serve God in some specific way… I don’t know. But I do know this- if you don’t get out of the boat it is not going to happen.

 

I. IF YOU ARE GOING TO GET OUT OF THE BOAT – FOCUS ON CHRIST!

 

1. Talk to the Lord [v. 28, Lk. 18:1, 1 Thessalonians 5:17, James 1:5]

 

“Men ought always to pray, and not to faint”

Pray without ceasing.

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

 

2. Listen to the Lord [v. 29, Isaiah 34:16, Mt. 7:24, 1 Thessalonians 5:20]

 

Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Despise not prophesyings.

 

3. Step Out on Faith [v. 29, Acts 16:9-10] “Be sure you’re right- and then go ahead.” – Davy Crockett

 

And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him , saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us. And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.

 

II. IF YOU ARE GOING TO GET OUT OF THE BOAT – IGNORE THE CRITICS!

 

Critics are a dime a dozen. Any fool can criticize!” – Lee Roberson

 

1. Die to Criticism! [Isaiah 50:7, Ezekiel 3:9]

 

For the Lord GOD will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.

As an adamant harder than flint have I made thy forehead: fear them not, neither be dismayed at their looks, though they be a rebellious house.

Thomas – “He’ll never make it. We’re all going to die.” [John 11:16 similar thought]

The test of your character is what it takes to stop you.” — Bob Jones, Sr

 

2. Die to Compliments! [Colossians 2:4]

 

And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.

 

3. Die to Self! [Jn. 12:24-25, 1 Corinthians 15:31]

 

Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily .

 

III. IF YOU ARE GOING TO GET OUT OF THE BOAT – EMBRACE THE CHALLENGE & REFOCUS ON CHRIST!

 

1. Christ Makes the Impossible Possible [Philippians 4:13] I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

 

2. Christ Works Through Us to do His Work [2 Corinthians 12:9,  Galatians 2:20]

 

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

 

3. Christ is There When We Falter, Fall, or Fail [v. 30-33, Hebrews 4:16]

 

Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'