Monday, August 23, 2021

THE GOSPEL DRAW

LUKE 2:1-20

 

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

In Warren Wiersbe’s commentary on Luke 2 he points out the drawing power of the birth of Christ.

 

I. JESUS’ BIRTH DREW MARY AND JOSEPH FROM NAZARETH [v. 1-7]

 

1. God used a Heathen King to Unwittingly Do His Will [v. 1-3, Micah 5:2, Proverbs 21:1]

 

But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting .

The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.

 

2. God Used Submissive Servants to Willingly Do His Will [v. 4-5]

 

3. God Used Ignorant Crowds to Unknowingly Do His Will [v. 6-7]

 

II. JESUS’ BIRTH DREW ANGELS FROM THE REALMS OF GLORY [v.8-15a]

 

1. The Terror of the Angel [v. 8-9]

 

2. The Tidings of the Angel [v. 10-12]

 

3. The Testimony of the Angels [v. 13-15a]

 

III. JESUS’ BIRTH DREW THE SHEPHERDS FROM THEIR FIELDS [v. 15-20]

 

1. Their Faith [v. 15]

 

2. Their Fastness [v. 16]

 

3. Their Forwardness [v. 17-20]

 

IV. JESUS’ BIRTH IS NOT THE LIMIT OF THE GOSPEL DRAW

 

1. God Draws with His Love [Jeremiah 31:3]

 

The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

 

2. God Draws with His Word [John 6:44-45]

 

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

 

3. Christ Draws with His Vicarious Death [John 12:32-33]

 

And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. This he said, signifying what death he should die.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'