Sunday, August 25, 2019

JUSTIFIED




ROMANS 5:1-3

Pastor Rick Jackson

Justification is sometimes defined as “just-as-if-I-had never-sinned” and while there is a hint of the truth in that, it falls short of what justification really is. Quite frankly, justification is a legal standing. Justification acknowledges that I have, indeed, sinned. But the penalty of my sin was borne by another and because He paid my sin debt and gave me His righteousness I am counted by the Supreme Court of the universe as righteous, as righteous as the Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and my sins can never be used to keep me from Heaven. I do not pay the penalty for my sin because that is already paid for. Thus, I am saved and secure because I am justified.
To access that justification, one must come by faith, accepting the person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ on his behalf. No other religion or personage can do for you what Christ has done. That being said, what are some of the provisions of justification?

I. JUSTIFICATION PROVIDES FOR OUR PAST SINS [v. 1]

By “past sins” I do not mean those sins I committed before I was justified. By past sins, I mean, when I die and my sinning days are over, my past sins cannot come back to haunt me. They all, from conception to crossing over have been dealt with by Jesus on the cross.

By JUSTIFICATION He:

1. Freely Forgives [Romans 3:24] Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

2. Frankly Forgives [Luke 7:42, Acts 13: 38-39]
And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins: And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

3. Fully Forgives [Romans 4:5, 20-25] But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. He [Abraham] staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness. Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him; But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

4. Finally Forgives [Rm. 5:8-11]

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

5. Forever Forgives [Titus 3:7] That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

II. JUSTIFICATION PROVIDES FOR OUR PRESENT SUFFICIENCY [v. 1b-2]

1. We Have Peace with God [v. 1b, 8:7, Ephesians 2:15-16]
Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby :

2. We Have Standing in Grace [v. 2, 1 Peter 5:12]
By Silvanus, a faithful brother unto you, as I suppose, I have written briefly , exhorting, and testifying that this is the true grace of God wherein ye stand.

3. We Have Joy in Hope [v. 2, 12:12, 15:4, 13]

III. JUSTIFICATION PROVIDES US PURPOSE IN SUFFERING [v. 3]

1. Tribulation Worketh Patience [v. 3]

2. Patience Worketh Experience [v. 4a]

3. Experience Worketh Hope [v. 4b-11, 12:12, 15:4, 13]

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'