Wednesday, May 08, 2019

PRAYER, PEACE & SLEEP


PSALM 4

Pastor Rick Jackson

I. THE BASIS OF PERSONAL PRAYER [v. 1]

1. God Hears my Prayer because He is God “Hear me when I call, O God”

2. God Hears my Prayer because He is my Saviour “O God of my righteousness”

3. God has Answered Prayer in the Past “thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress” [18:36]

4. God is Merciful “have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer”

II. THE BASIS OF PRAYERLESSNESS [v. 2]

1. Rejection of the Creator [v. 2, 62:7, Rm. 1:21-23] they say things like “God is a crutch”

2. Love of Emptiness [2:1]

3. Longing for Lies [Rm. 1, John 3:19]

III. THE BASIS OF PRAYER [v. 3-5]

1. The Saved are Sanctified by God for God [v. 3, Rm. 5:8-11]

2. The Saved are Supposed to Live for God [v. 4a, Rm. 12:1-2]

3. The Saved are to Steer Themselves by God’s Word [v. 4b-5, Nehemiah 5:7, Mt. 6:33]

IV. THE BENEFIT OF PRAYER [v. 6-8]

1. You can Quit Worrying what Men Say & Concentrate on God [v. 6]

2. You Can be “Happier” Trusting God than the Ungodly are during their “Good” Times [v. 7]

3. You Can Sleep the Sleep of the Blest [v. 8]

10 years ago I wrote this about this Psalm:

Once again, the psalmist speaks of a time of trouble and yet even in the midst of that trouble God made room for him [v.1]. Based on God's character and previous actions he fully expected God to have mercy and answer prayer.

Though men prefer vanity and lies God sets apart the godly for Himself. So the psalmist says in effect, "Even in trouble... Pray, be amazed at God, do right, encourage your heart in the Lord as you rest and let God work! (Too often we want to rush ahead of God). Offer God a pure life and trust Him to take care of the rest."

Verses 6-8 is a short prayer of for God's blessing, a recognition of what God has done, and the benefit derived from His watch care. Oh, that we would do likewise!

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'