Friday, September 02, 2016

John R. Rice Quotes of the Week

John 15:7, "If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you." Ask for anything you want. If you are saturated with the blessed Word of God, and loving it, and living in it, and living for Jesus, you can ask anything. You will then come to want what Jesus wants. You will come to know what God is like, how God delights to answer, what would be in the will of God. Then you can ask what you will, and it shall be done to you. - John R. Rice

I am now 77 years old, and since 1915 when I saddled up my sorrel cow pony on the prairies of West Texas and rode off to college with $9.35 in my pocket, I thank God I have proved thousands of times that God answers prayer for things and provides for His own. Oh, yes, we are taught to pray for daily bread. - John R. Rice [1973]

I grew up in the rough and wild cattle country in West Texas. There was not much preaching - only once or twice a month - and not much Christian influence. When we would go off someplace, Dad would say to us, "There has never been a Rice in any jail, as far as we know. Nor has there ever been a Rice, as far as we know, arrested." So he warned, "Watch where you go. Remember whose boys you are."
Wouldn't it be good if every Christian, too, would say, "I must remember that I belong to God. I must remember that this body is the temple of the Spirit of God. He lives within me." - John R. Rice

Do not grieve the Spirit by malice and evil speaking and such matters (Eph. 4:29-32). Put away all that and do not grieve the Holy Spirit by lack of love and a critical spirit and wicked words and criticism. Do not grieve the Spirit. A Christian should be aware that the sweet Spirit of God lives within him. You are His temple. Your body belongs to Him. He has a right to say what you do and where you go. I do not want to grieve Him about anything. - John R. Rice

Another command is, "And quench not the Spirit" (I Thess. 5:19). That means we should listen to His leading. If He says do this or that, then we should not fight it or resist it. Let us follow the Spirit of God and do what He said do. Do not quench the Spirit. - John R. Rice

I once talked to an old gray-headed man at a funeral in Dallas, Texas, who wanted to be saved but didn't know how. I said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ."
He said, "I have heard that before," and began to sob and say, "I don't know what that means."
The Lord put it on my tongue (I knew it was the leading of the Spirit of God at once.). "That simply means that you furnish the sinner and God furnishes the Saviour."
He said, "Well, I can sure furnish the sinner," and he trusted the Lord. - John R. Rice

Sweet Spirit of God, this help for everybody in prayer! He helps us have faith. He teaches us the truth. Oh, you would not go into every kind of heresy if you day by day had the Spirit of God guiding you. That is why, when you study the Bible, you had better have a saved man teaching it.
A man wrote me, "I am in a secular university taking a course in Bible." You cannot trust a man unless he himself is an avowed out-and-out Christian.
The other day a man said, "Dr. So-and-So says it," and he quoted a man who is an ardent hyper-Calvinist. I would not risk him about interpreting the Bible. A man who does not have a warm heart to God and soul-winning and the power of God on him, cannot be trusted in leadership. But the sweet Spirit of God will teach us the truth. - John R. Rice

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'