Wednesday, May 18, 2011

ARE YOU TIRED OF LIVING?

2 Corinthians 1

Pastor Rick Jackson

We do get tired don’t we? We think we cannot take another moment. We are like the person who said to someone, “I only have one nerve left- and you are standing on it.“ I recently learned a man I knew in passing, a Christian man, had committed suicide some years ago. What prompts a child of God to do such a thing? King Saul did it, Elijah talked about it, politicians in some states have legalized it, many have thought about it even if they didn’t do it- why? They were tired of living. But my friends, these things ought not be. Why not?

I. THE TRUTH ABOUT OUR SUFFERING

1. Our Suffering is Known by the God Who Cares [v. 1-3]

2. Our Suffering Allows God Comfort [v. 4-5]

3. Our Suffering is Purposeful [v. 6]

II. THE TRUTH IN OUR SUFFERING

1. We Have Hope [v. 7, Ephesians 1:18]

The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
Ephesians 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
Philippians 1:20 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.
Colossians 1:5 For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;
Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

2. Our Hope is Steadfast [v. 7, Hebrews 6:19]

Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;
2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

3. Our Hope is Knowledgeable [v. 7-8]

III. THE TRUTH THAT IS STRONGER THAN SUFFERING

1. Not Ourselves But God [v. 9]

Genesis 31:7 And your father hath deceived me, and changed my wages ten times; but God suffered him not to hurt me.
Genesis 45:8 So now it was not you that sent me hither, but God: and he hath made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house, and a ruler throughout all the land of Egypt.
Genesis 48:21 And Israel said unto Joseph, Behold, I die: but God shall be with you, and bring you again unto the land of your fathers.
Genesis 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.
1 Samuel 23:14 And David abode in the wilderness in strong holds, and remained in a mountain in the wilderness of Ziph. And Saul sought him every day, but God delivered him not into his hand.
2 Chronicles 20:15 And he said, Hearken ye, all Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou king Jehoshaphat, Thus saith the LORD unto you, Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God's.
Psalm 73:26 My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.
Luke 16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
Acts 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

2. Not Death But Deliverance [v. 10]

3. Not Alone But Together [v. 11]

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'