Friday, October 02, 2009

Christ Our Intercessor

"Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us." (Romans 8:34)

One of the most glorious truths of the Christian life is that the Lord Jesus Christ, who died for our sins and rose for our justification, now lives to intercede for us before God. The greatest example of intercessory prayer in the Bible is in John 17, where the Lord poured out His heart for His disciples. "I pray for them," He said, "I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine" (John 17:9). But that was not all! "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word" (John 17:20). And that's us! That includes us!

What is it that He prays for us? First of all, He prays for our security. "Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are" (John 17:11). Then He prays that we might have real victory over sin and the devil. "I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil or 'the evil one'" (John 17:15).

His next request is: "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth" (John 17:17). Our sanctification will come, therefore, not through some special experience, but through God's Word. He also prays for true unity among His true disciples: "That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me" (John 17:21).

Finally, He prays for our ultimate glorification. "Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me" (John 17:24).

We can be assured that the Father will grant these requests of His beloved Son. HMM

Print this article More Days of Praise articles

Institute for Creation Research 1806 Royal Lane Dallas TX 75229

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'