Tuesday, February 03, 2009

In Over Your Head



In Over Your Head

Have you ever been "in over your head?" When I was probably seven or eight years old, I found myself in over my head. I was in the shallow end of the Bill Rice Ranch Pool, which meant the water was deeper than I was tall! I was in over my head, coughing and sputtering. The next thing I knew, someone pulled me out (probably my dad or mom).

About fifteen years later, I found myself at the same place in the same situation. I was a summer staff counselor training to be a lifeguard. This time I was in the deep end of the pool with a brick in two hands. I was treading water and buying time with all the energy I had!

Well, I made it out alive then, too, but I have found that much of my life has been spent "in over my head." Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation where things are bigger and greater than your abilities to handle them? These times are not bad; this is when we look for the help we need. I have sometimes thought we are a little hard on people when we make the statement, "The only time you pray in when you are in big trouble!" I can understand the thinking, but the matter of the fact is, we are always in trouble!

In Matthew 8:23-27, a group of men find themselves in over their heads. The disciples had followed the Lord Jesus onto a boat, and then in verse 24, a storm comes and "the ship was covered with the waves: but he [Jesus] was asleep." Has it ever occurred to you that the Lord never worries about anything? Nothing takes God by surprise. God never has problems, and you are never a problem to God. But the disciples woke the Lord Jesus and say, "Lord, save us: we perish." In another of the Gospels, the disciples say, "Carest thou not that we perish?" Ever felt that way, that you are about to perish?

Notice that the Lord rebukes the disciples first, then the trouble. Often we want God to take care of the problem first, then work on us. But God is using the problems to teach us. We can learn from this passage that when we follow, we need not fear. Problems can come precisely because you are following.

Not everything is going to be easy after you give yourself to the Lord. You will have problems that you would not otherwise have if you were not following the Lord. There will be problems you buy in to following Christ. The presence of problems does not always mean that you are doing wrong, nor does the absence of problems mean that you are doing God's will. Think about the disciples: they were safer with the Lord in the boat than they would have been on solid ground without Him.

If "the winds and sea obey him," then it doesn't make sense for us to question God's working or to drag our feet in following Him. (The weather never questions God, but we do.) The winds and sea obey Christ because he made them-He is the Creator. Not only that, but He has power over them-He is in control. And He can calm them.

I never relish being in over my head, and I suspect that you don't either, but may God help us to be smart enough and wise enough to trust Him and ask for the help we need when we find ourselves in over our heads.


Prayer Requests:
- Revival services tonight in San Francisco, CA and Silver Springs, FL

For more information about the Bill Rice Ranch visit our website: billriceranch.org

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'