Friday, October 31, 2008

How a radical atheist got saved and the dramatic results

Sumner Wemp

A fantastic story how an atheist got saved!

35 years ago I preached in a church and a white man was there with an Afro hair do on top and his beard. Just the whites of his eyes shone through. After the service a fine Christian girl asked me if I saw the man with all the hair. I told her I would have been blind not to. She told how she came out of a grocery store, ran into a lady, gave her a tract and led her to Christ right there in the parking lot. This man was her husband, Dale Cutlip. He was an atheist and debated atheism and would I go see him and try to lead him to Christ. I am no debater and did not want to but after she begged me, I said I would. She gave me their address. It was in the opposite side of town from me.

I planned to go Monday night but could not make it. The same happened every night until Friday night and I knew I had to go. They lived in an enormous apartment complex. It took one half hour to find them. I knocked and when Dale opened the door, I almost fainted. He had no shirt on and had an afro on top, in his beard and on his chest. I thought I was looking at the missing link. He blurted out, "preacher, what is going on. You won't believe it." I asked him three times before he invited me in and then said, "You wont believe it, I am an atheist and when you knocked I was reading the Bible."

I said, "I know what is going on, sit down. I want to tell you. I just told him the gospel, how God loves him, Christ died for his sins, paid the debt in full, rose again and was seen by hundreds of people and if he would believe God that Christ suffered and died for his sins too and receive the Lord Jesus in his heart, God would save him. Without hesitation, he said he would. The three of us knelt in front of his couch with me in the middle. He prayed out loud with me to receive the Lord Jesus. With tears flowing he knocked me out of the way, grabbed his wife and we all wept and rejoice.

He was genuinely saved. Four weeks later, I saw him at church and did not recognize him for he was shaved, clothed and in is right mind. Today I get his prayer letter. He is an evangelist and has led thousands to Christ. He has 61 missionary affiliates in 12 countries. It is awesome what God has done with Dale. It all started with a college girl handing a lady a tract in a parking lot and led her to Christ. God would not let me get there until He had him ready, reading the Bible.

O dear people the "harvest in plenteous" They are all over the place.You and I MUST get the gospel to every person and have the eternal privilege of leading people to Christ, who God has ready, to be saved.

Our world needs to be saved. You and I must get the gospel to more people to see our country saved. Makes sense.

"I am debtor both to the wise and the unwise" and to God, and to lost people to "preach the gospel to every person"

Go to www.sumnerwemp.com for some transforming brief messages. I just got 2000, tracts "Your ticket to heaven" to give out at Halloween. Call 1-877-872-2871 to order tracts. What an eternal opportunity. ABC Sumner

"Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire? "

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'