Wednesday, October 15, 2008

BE TOUGH ON YOURSELF

I Corinthians 9:24-27


Pastor Rick Jackson


When you decide to buy an expensive item sometimes you have to sacrifice for a while to save for it. An athlete may deny himself some pleasures in the food and drink department in order to attain the physical prowess he desires. A student must give up some TV time to study if she wants to make that grade which will help her GPA. In all these things, and more, it boils down to this thought, "Be Tough on Yourself!"

In a similar way in order for us to be the Christians we want to be, that we need to be, that we ought to be, we must learn the same lesson, 'BE TOUGH ON YOURSELF!"

How?

I. BE ESTABLISHED IN YOUR FAITH! (Be sure you are saved!)

-Paul was sure! "For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." - II Tm. 1:12

-John was sure! "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God." - I Jn. 5:13

-Job was sure! "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me." - Job 19:25-27

-and You can Know!

II. BE RIGID IN YOUR CONVICTIONS!

-Joshua stood firm! "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

-Daniel stood firm! "But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself." Dan. 1:8

-Paul stood firm! "But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." I Cor. 9:27

-Josiah stood firm! "And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, and walked in the ways of David his father, and declined neither to the right hand, nor to the left." II Chr. 34:2

III. BE ACTIVE IN YOUR QUEST!

1. Spend Time In Prayer! -Jesus taught "that men ought always to pray, and not to faint" Lk. 18:1

2. Spend Time In God's Word! Isaiah reminded us, "Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read!" - Isaiah 34:16

3. Spend Time At Church! Hebrews declares, "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." - Heb. 10:25

IV. BE POSITIVE IN YOUR TESTIMONY! (Witness positively for Jesus Christ)

David said, "Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy" - Ps. 107:2

Paul said, "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit" - Eph. 5:18

Peter said, "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." - I Pet. 3:15

V. BE FERVENT IN YOUR LIFE! - Romans 12:11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;

A FERVENT CHRISTIAN:

-Has faith in God! "Have faith in God!" -Mk. 11:22

-Is not a Quitter! "Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle." - II Th. 2:15

-Looks for the return of Jesus Christ! "Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ" - Titus 2:13

-Seeks to Witness to lost souls! "Let your light so shine..." Mt. 5:16

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'