Sunday, October 12, 2008

A FLAG TO FOLLOW

I KINGS 18

Pastor Rick Jackson

I sought a flag to follow, a cause for which to stand,
I sought a valiant leader, Who could my love command;
I sought a stirring challenge, Some noble work to try,
To give my life fulfillment, my dreams to satisfy.

I sought a ringing answer for all my doubts inside,
A torch of truth uplifted, My searching steps to guide;
I sought a word of wisdom, A true authority,
I sought to know life's purpose, to solve it's mystery.

I sought for satisfaction, for yearnings deep within,
I sought for full deliverance, from chains of guilt and sin
I sought for peace and pardon, for freedom from my fears
I sought a hope to cling to beyond these passing years.

I found them all in Jesus, the Life, the Truth, the Way;
Beneath His flag I'll take my stand and follow Him today!

I. FOLLOW HIM BECAUSE [I Kings 18]

1. Because of What He Is [v. 21]

2. Because of What He Does [v. 24]

3. Because of Who He Is [v. 39]

II. FOLLOW HIM DESPITE [The Gospels]

1. What You Do

Matthew 4:18-20 And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. And they straightway left their nets, and followed him.
Matthew 9:9 And as Jesus passed forth from thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose, and followed him.
John 1:43 The day following Jesus would go forth into Galilee, and findeth Philip, and saith unto him, Follow me.
John 1:45 Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.

2. What It Cost [Luke 9:23-26, 51-62; 18:18-30]

3. What Others Do [Jn. 10:22-33; 21:19-22]

III. FOLLOW FOR [Phil. 3]

1. The Power [v. 9-10]

2. The Purpose [v. 11-16]

3. The Pattern [v. 17-21]

1 comment:

Evangelist David Dunn said...

Bro. Rick,
I can remember all the years that we were at Highland Park, singing the song "I sought a Flag to Follow". I enjoyed this post very much, it brought back some good memories as well as gave me something to think about. Well done again sir!
Bro. David

 
mobile='yes'