Monday, September 01, 2008

Still Better Than I Deserve

As previously mentioned in this blog...

Several years ago on Thanksgiving Day I was at the Campus Church at Pensacola Christian College and heard the then Pastor, Jim Schettler, mention a preacher he knew who would always respond to the question, "How are you?" with the reply, "Better Than I Deserve". The Lord spoke to my heart that day and as I contemplated the truth of that reply I decided that it would become my standard answer rather than lying (at times) and saying "Fine".

Little did I know then how that little phrase would affect my life. I have been using it since that time and actually have somewhat of a reputation regarding it. At several local fast food restaurants I am known as "Mr. Better Than I Deserve" - how much better is that than some Christians who are known as "Mr. or Miss Holier Than Thou"? The very fact I have that testimony proves out the statement itself. I certainly don't deserve to be saved, I don't deserve to be known in a positive fashion, I certainly don't deserve to be on my way to Heaven... hey, you know what? I AM DOING BETTER THAN I DESERVE!

Has the response always been positive? Oh no, particularly among some who call themselves Christians who have apparently grown tired of hearing it. They never seemed to tire of hearing "fine" whether the person was fine or not. Is there some conviction going on there? Has their conscience been pricked by the sweet Holy Spirit of God? Has their own murmuring and complaining been outed? I don't know... I just know, I am not going to quit saying it!

It is the most truthful answer I can give. It has opened the door for a positive witness many times. Some Christians have taken up the phrase themselves, others , on hearing it for the first time, are reminded of how good they have it due to the grace of God. Some people don't quite understand it so I made up a business card that explains what it means and weaves the Gospel message into the explanation. If you'd like a copy leave a comment with your address and I'll be glad to send you one. You can have your own printed up and pass them out yourself. Don't worry... I won't print your address on the blog. All comments have to be approved by me before they are published and I will edit out your address.

My life is not perfect. I am not perfect. But I can guarantee that I, and you, have it better than we deserve!

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'