Monday, September 15, 2008

THE EXODUS OF EXCUSES (Part One)

EXODUS 3:10-22

Pastor Rick Jackson

As you read the Bible it should become clear to you that the men and women of the Bible are just like you and me. They have fears and failures, faith and the lack thereof, worries and problems just like the rest of us. They also have joy and happiness just as we do. They also makes excuses for not doing what God wants them to do... just like we do.

The great man Moses who got ahead of God at 40 is seen falling behind God at 80. As we open the Word of God to Exodus 3 we might figure out that excuses haven't changed much in the last 3500 years.

I. WHO AM I? [v. 10-12]

1. Man's Excuse- "I am a nobody" [v. 10-11]

Hey! God don't make no junk! On the one hand we can say with the Psalmist, "What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?" but on the other hand, the very fact that God has taken an interest gives us worth does it not?

2. God's Response- "I will be with you!" [v. 12]

This guarantees success! There is no failure with God on your side. The Bibles says, "we are more than conquerors through him that loved us." Note that when God redeems us--- He redeems us for His service [v. 12, Eph. 2:8-10]

3. Our Promise- Mt. 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen

II. WHO SHOULD I SAY IS SENDING ME? [v. 13-15]

1. Man's Excuse- "I have no authority" [2:14 was still the burning question in Moses mind, which explains his question in 3:13]

2. God's Response- "I AM THAT I AM" [v. 14-15]

God was giving an explanation of the name Yahweh (Jehovah). Bible names carried great significance. The Self-Existent, Creator is sending you. He that has all authority.

3. Our Promise- Matthew 28:17-18 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. ("My name for ever" -v. 15)

III. WHAT SHALL I SAY UNTO THEM? [v. 13-22]

1. Man's Excuse- "I don't know what to say." [v. 13]

2. God's Response- "Give them My Word." [v. 14-22]

v. 14-16 God Knows [Gn. 50:25]

v. 17-21 God Can

v. 18, 22 God Wants (us to respond in faith)

3. Our Promise- Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

1 Corinthians 15:1-6a Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once;

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'