Monday, July 17, 2023

COULD NOT, CAN NOT, WILL NOT

LUKE 20:21-26

 

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

I. THEY COULD NOT…

 

1. Kill Him [Luke 4:28-30, 13:33, Mt. 26:1-5]

- Lk. 4:28-30 And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath, And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong. But he passing through the midst of them went his way,

-Lk. 13:33 Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.

- Mt. 26:1-5 And it came to pass, when Jesus had finished all these sayings, he said unto his disciples, Ye know that after two days is the feast of the passover, and the Son of man is betrayed to be crucified. Then assembled together the chief priests, and the scribes, and the elders of the people, unto the palace of the high priest, who was called Caiaphas, And consulted that they might take Jesus by subtlety, and kill him. But they said, Not on the feast day, lest there be an uproar among the people.

 

2. Convince Him [John 8:46]

Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?

 

3. Keep Him [Mt. 27:62-66, 28:1-6]

- Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate, Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again. Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first. Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can. So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.

-In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow: And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men. And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

 

II. THEY CAN NOT…

1.  Stop His Word [Is. 55:11, John 7:46]

- So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

- The officers answered, Never man spake like this man.

 

2. Stop His Work [Jn. 10:17-18, Rev. 3:8]

- Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

- behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it:

 

 3.  Stop His Way [Jn. 14:6, Rm. 10:13] For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

 

III. THEY WILL NOT…

 

1. Prevent His Return [Jn. 14:3, Rev. 1:7, 19:11-21]

- And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

- Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

 

2. Prevent His Judgment [Rev. 20:1-14]

 

3. Prevent His Honor [Phil. 2:9-11]

Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'