Wednesday, August 05, 2020

JESUS – THE GREATEST HERO OF ALL TIME

NEW TESTAMENT ADVENTURES OF OLD TESTAMENT HEROES #4

 

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

That Jesus is the greatest hero of all time should come as no surprise to any Bible believer, serious student of history or the humblest child who ever lived. He fought and won the greatest battle, He paid the highest price, secured the greatest prize, defeated the strongest foe, loved with the greatest passion, exhibited the gentlest demeanor and spoke the greatest words this old world ever heard. His love is limitless, His grace is amazing, His mercy is delightful, His wrath is terrible, His justice is undeniable, His holiness is unmatchable, His love is unspeakable. Boxers have claimed to be the greatest but Christ is the Greatest. Wrestlers have claimed to be the king of kings, but Christ is THE KING OF KINGS. Someone has said “it isn’t bragging if you can do it” and brother, He did it, does it and will never fail. He is, in short, the greatest hero of all time.

 

Obviously, we can not adequately show, in our limited time, in one message, what He has done. The books of the world cannot contain the history of what He accomplishes. What can we do? Given our premise, NEW TESTAMENT ADVENTURES OF OLD TESTAMENT HEROES, let me just give you a few examples of His greatness.

 

I. HE COMMUNICATES IN THE MOST SUBLIME OF PLACES – A GARDEN

 

As God, he communicated with Man in Eden. As man, He communicated with God in Gethsemane.

Gn. 3:8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day:

Jn. 18:1 When Jesus had spoken these words, he went forth with his disciples over the brook Cedron, where was a garden, into the which he entered, and his disciples.

 

II. HE CONDUCTS IN THE MOST SEDENTARY OF PACES – HE WALKS

 

Gn. 3:8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden

Mark 16:12 After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country

Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

1 Jn. 1:6-7 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another

 

 

III. HE COMMUNICATES IN THE MOST SIMPLE OF POSSIBILITIES – HE SPEAKS

 

Gn. 3:8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God

Luke 9:35 And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

Exodus 3:4 God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.

14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Isa. 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Jeremiah 33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

Joel 2: 32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered:

Rm. 10:9, 13 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. . . . For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

 

IV. HE CRAFTS THE MOST SATISFYING OF RELATIONSHIPS – BELONGING

 

Ps. 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Ps. 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever .

1 Thessalonians 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Matthew 8:11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.

 

HE COMMUNICATES IN THE MOST SUBLIME OF PLACES – A GARDEN, HE CONDUCTS IN THE MOST SEDENTARY OF PACES – HE WALKS, HE COMMUNICATES IN THE MOST SIMPLE OF POSSIBILITIES – HE SPEAKS, HE CRAFTS THE MOST SATISFYING OF RELATIONSHIPS – BELONGING … a man by the name of Charles A. Miles put it this way over 100 years ago in 1913:

 

I come to the garden alone,

While the dew is still on the roses,

And the voice I hear falling on my ear

The Son of God discloses.

 

Refrain:

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,

And He tells me I am His own;

And the joy we share as we tarry there,

None other has ever known.

 

He speaks, and the sound of His voice

Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,

And the melody that He gave to me

Within my heart is ringing.

 

Refrain:

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,

And He tells me I am His own;

And the joy we share as we tarry there,

None other has ever known.

 

I’d stay in the garden with Him,

Though the night around me be falling,

But He bids me go; through the voice of woe

His voice to me is calling.

 

Refrain:

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,

And He tells me I am His own;

And the joy we share as we tarry there,

None other has ever known.


No comments:

 
mobile='yes'