Sunday, August 09, 2020

PATIENCE MAY NOT BE WHAT WE THINK BUT IT IS SOMETHING WE NEED

JAMES 5:7-11                                                                    

 

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

I. PATIENCE IS NOT INSTANTANEOUS     “Lord give me patience, but hurry!”

 

1. Patience is a Premium [1:1-2] that is, it is something to be desired

 

2. Patience is a Process [1:3-4] that is, it is something to be directed

 

3. Patience is a Product [Rm. 5:3] that is, it is something to be developed

 

“we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience”

 

II. PATIENCE IS NOT IMMEDIATE                               (why does God make us wait?)

 

1. The Desire may be fine but we are not really ready [1 Tm. 3:1-6] i.e shaving, driving, pastoring

 

This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

 

2. The Motivation may be wrong [4:3, Acts 8:9-24] Simon the sorcerer

 

3. The Problem of Uncleanness [Ps. 66:18] “If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me”

 

4. The Waiting Itself is Instructional [Ps. 27:14] teaching us dependence on God

 

“Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.”

5. The Waiting will Benefit Others [Phil. 1:12-20]

But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel; So that my bonds in Christ are manifest in all the palace, and in all other places; And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear. Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel. What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice. For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.

 

6. The Purpose of God for our lives is at Stake [2 Cor. 12:7-10]

 

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

 

7. The Adventure of Faith needs to be Savored [Rm. 8:18-25]

 

For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

 

III. PATIENCE IS NOT IRRELEVANT             There is a purpose!

 

1. It will Profit [1:2-3]

 

2. It will Perfect [1:4]

 

3. It will Produce [Rm. 5:3-5] And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'