Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Nerve of some people!

I was in a Subway shop many years ago ordering a chicken teriyaki (low fat) sub with sweet onion sauce (I don't particularly like onions but...wowsers!)when someone walked in behind me. Not unusual right? But they didn't get in line behind me but rather walked over to a table and sat down with a friend (?) who was already seated. The girl waiting on me had a look of disbelief on her face and I turned and immediately saw why. They had a pizza from another store which they were going to eat in the Subway restaurant! They even had the nerve to come ask the other lady working for FREE plasticware (hey, it ain't silver). They didn't even have the common decency to wait and buy their drinks from Subway! Yeppers, they had bought drinks at the other place too! I knew the girl wanted to say something but probably didn't want to alienate potential or even regular customers.
I thought, "The Nerve of some people!" (How quaint!) To abuse the kindness of Subway providing tables, air-conditioning, and of course, free plasticware and napkins and bring in their inferior pizza (it wasn't even name brand). And then... it hit me. How often have I done the same to God? How often have we used God's air, the health He has given us, the resources He has allowed us to accumulate and then spent those resources (money, talents, time, whatever) on the Devil's inferior pastimes, substitutes, and what have you. How often have we squandered what God has given us on the Devil's cheap thrills. The Nerve of some people!

Then there are those who haven't even accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour, depending only on Him for salvation. They ignore Him or insult Him by thinking they can add to their salvation as if He had not done enough. The songwriter had it right:

I hear the Savior say,
“Thy strength indeed is small;
Child of weakness, watch and pray,
Find in Me thine all in all.”

Refrain

Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.

For nothing good have I
Whereby Thy grace to claim,
I’ll wash my garments white
In the blood of Calv’ry’s Lamb.

Refrain

And now complete in Him
My robe His righteousness,
Close sheltered ’neath His side,
I am divinely blest.

Refrain

Lord, now indeed I find
Thy power and Thine alone,
Can change the leper’s spots
And melt the heart of stone.

Refrain

When from my dying bed
My ransomed soul shall rise,
“Jesus died my soul to save,”
Shall rend the vaulted skies.

Refrain

And when before the throne
I stand in Him complete,
I’ll lay my trophies down
All down at Jesus’ feet.

Refrain

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'