Wednesday, August 16, 2017

THE king IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE KING!

THE king IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE KING!

Pastor Rick Jackson

Yesterday marked the 40th anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley, called by many the "king of rock and roll", and by still others, "the king". Some Elvis fans are fond of saying "America has had many presidents but only one king." Truth is, at one time, Memphis, Tn. claimed that 3 kings had homes there... Elvis Presley, B.B. King, and Jerry "the king" Lawler a professional wrestler.

1 Tm. 6:14-16 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

Revelation 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.
Revelation 19:16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

Think about it. We still remember Elvis 40 years after his death, we still worship Jesus almost 2000 years after His death and resurrection.

I. THE TRUTH ABOUT ELVIS

1. He had no claim by a royal pedigree

One of his close friends and co-best man at his wedding said Elvis hated to be called "the King" because Elvis said, "there's only one king and that's Jesus Christ."

2. He had no kingdom (many fans but no kingdom) [John 6:11-15, 24-36ff]

3. He had no control over himself (one secular newspaper labeled him as "1977's poster boy for celebrity excess"). He died of an overdose or prescription medications.

II. THE TRUTH ABOUT JESUS

1. He Can Lay claim to Israel's throne through His birth mother (Lk. 3:23-38) and His step-father (Mt. 1:1-17) Acts 2:29-31

Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

2. He has a Kingdom

John 18:36-37 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

Matthew 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

3. He Was/Is in Perfect Control of Himself as well as Creation.

John 14:30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.
John 10:17-18 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

III. THE TRUTH ABOUT JESUS & ELVIS

1. Jesus gave Elvis his musical ability [1 Corinthians 4:7]

For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

2. Elvis claimed Jesus as His Saviour

As featured in the May 18, 2006 issue of The Alabama Baptist an article by Kathy Dean, Correspondent. "Is Elvis in heaven?” It’s the question that Rick Stanley, one of Elvis's step-brothers is asked most often. For the Baptist evangelist, it’s a question not only into the eternal fate of the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll but also about his stepbrother and the power of salvation.

“When I answer that question, I ask, ‘What makes you think he is; what makes you think he isn’t?’” Stanley said. Some people point to the way Elvis Presley loved and took care of his mother and say surely he is in heaven, while others point to his drug use and sexual promiscuity and say he’s not.

“I answer by saying Elvis was saved at the age of 10 years old at Harrisburg Baptist Church in Tupelo, Miss., at Vacation Bible School,” Stanley said. “Did he have times when he was away from the Lord? Oh yeah. … Twenty or 30 years ago, the prevailing thought was that once you were saved, you don’t have issues. You just love Jesus and you’ll be OK. That sounds good but I know some really wonderful people that love the Lord who struggle with things.”

3. Elvis was apparently a carnal Christian [1 Cor. 3:1-4ff]

Elvis got away from the Lord's teachings, but if he was saved, he was still saved when he died!

Rm. 4:1-8

Gal. 3:1-4 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.


One of the more popular slogans during the Revolutionary War is one you rarely hear about in history classes at school. The slogan was, "No King but Jesus". Not a bad slogan for now is it?

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'