Pastor Rick Jackson
Psalm 22 -The Good Shepherd John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
Psalm 23 -The Great Shepherd Hebrews 13:20-21 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
Psalm 24 -The Chief Shepherd 1 Peter 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
J. Vernon McGee gives us this breakdown:
22=Cross Savior Foundation Dying Past Gives His Life
23=Shepherd's Crook Satisfier Manifestation Living Present Gives His love
24=Crown Sovereign Expectation Coming Again Future Gives His light
Though the 23rd Psalm is one of the most quoted and well known chapters in the Scriptures it is often misquoted and unknown by most people in the world, even those that claim it. That it is beautiful is undeniable, that it is universal is untenable. It is the proper confession of a saved individual. A lost person has no right to claim it though he should desire it. When you can claim it, what does it say?
I. WHAT IT SAYS TO OTHERS [v. 1-3]
1. A Word of Testimony- I am trusting Him and He is mine [v. 1]
2. A Word of Trust- I am depending on Him and He will provide [v. 1b-2]
More is implied than is expressed, not only, I shall not want, but "I shall be supplied with whatever I need; and if I have not everything I desire, I may conclude it is either not fit for me or not good for me, or I shall have it in due time". -Matthew Henry
3. A Word of Triumph-I am His and He will guide [v. 3]
II. WHAT IT SAYS TO GOD [v. 4-5]
1. Wherever You lead I'll go [v. 4a] [destination]
2. Whatever You say I'll trust [v. 4b] [direction]
3. Whatever You give I'll take [v.5] [devotion]
III. WHAT IT SAYS TO YOURSELF [v. 6]
1. God is Good [Mark 10:18 ... there is none good but one, that is, God.]
2. God is Merciful [Ps. 62:12 Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy...] v.6 note the duration
3. God is Gracious [Eph. 1:7, 2:7]
How unlike the world's philosophy, "Life stinks, and then you die.”
Note the comforting words... walk...shadow...with me... comfort me...will dwell