Wednesday, June 29, 2011

THE TRUTH ABOUT BEING THANKFUL

PSALM 100:4

Pastor Rick Jackson

I. WE AREN’T THANKFUL BY NATURE

Anything we have to be taught to do is NOT part of our nature. Fish swim because it is their nature to do so.

1. Belief in God is Inherent, Thankfulness is Not [Romans 1:21]

Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

2. Heaven is Thankful that God is God, Earth is Not [Rev. 11:16-18]

3. Unthankfulness is a Characteristic of the Last Days [2nd Timothy 3:1-5]

A woman gave a boy some cake to which he replied, “Thank you very much.“ She said, “I like to hear little boys say thank-you.“ He said, “If you give me some ice cream to go with the cake I’ll say it again.“

II. THANKFULNESS INVOLVES RECOGNITION

1. God’s Kindness is Not Always Realized [Luke 6:35]

Matthew 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

2. God’s Kindness is Not Always Remembered [Ps. 103:1-2]

3. God’s Kindness is Not Always Recognized [James 1:17]

III. THANKFULNESS IS AN ATTRIBUTE OF THE SPIRIT-FILLED LIFE

1. The Power [Eph. 5:18-20]

2. The Potential [Rm. 8:28]

3. The Pattern [Ps. 116:12-19]

Matthew Henry was once robbed of his wallet- he wrote in his journal that he was thankful for 4 things. “I thank Thee first because I was never robbed before; second, because although they took my purse they did not take my life; third, because although they took my all, it was not much; and fourth because it was I who was robbed, and not I who robbed.”

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'