Monday, September 06, 2010

God's Correction

 
Bill Rice Ranch - First Light Devotionals 

Amos 3:2  "You only have I known of all the families of the earth: therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities."

                                                                                                                                               

God's Correction

 

My wife and I were behind a very unhappy mother with two bad kids in Wal-Mart the other day.  The little girl was kicking and screaming while Mom tried to drag her along. (This very scene has probably been played out in Wal-Marts across America!)  The boy was in a cart in front of us, and when my wife made eye contact, he wrinkled his snotty little nose and stuck out his tongue!  Now, it is true that I was happy neither one of those kids were mine, but I didn't do anything about it.  He is not my son, and she is not my daughter!

 

On the other hand, upon being picked up from the airport, I noticed my kids were doing something that I did not want them to do.  Sena & I had been away and correcting my kids was not at the top of my list, but I had a responsibility to correct what was wrong because they are my kids!

 

When it comes to God our Father, He corrects us, not because He hates us but precisely because we belong to Him!  God reminded the children of Israel in Amos 3 that they belonged to Him, and that was the reason He was chastising them.  A brat in Wal-Mart who disrespects me can never compare to Wilson, Weston, or Lauren Rice!  Because I love my kids, I must correct and teach and train them.

 

It would be a mistake for one of my kids to think, "If anyone will give me a pass about doing wrong, my dad will."  Actually, if anyone will not give him a pass, his dad will not!  Likewise, God could not excuse Israel's sin, and He will not excuse our sin today.

 

The recognition that God chastens His own should protect you from a couple of misconceptions.  The first misconception is that since God will judge this world, He doesn't care what you do.  God does care precisely because you are His child!  Don't be deceived!

 

The second misconception is that since things are not going well, God must not love you.  Sometimes difficult times come precisely because you are doing what's right.  Don't be discouraged!

 

As our Heavenly Father, God provides protection, provision, direction...and correction. Do not be deceived and do not be discouraged-God loves and chastens His own!

 

"For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth."  (Proverbs 3:12)
 
 
Prayer Requests
:
1. BRR Elementary Retreat this weekend (9.10-11)
2. West Branch Arizona Regional Youth Conference this weekend (9.11)
3. Deaf Rally this weekend in Millville, NJ (9.11)
4. A special word from Brother Wil about Ranch needs
 
Browse our fall events schedule on our website: billriceranch.org
 
 
 
Bill Rice Ranch | 627 Bill Rice Ranch Road | Murfreesboro | TN | 37128

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'