Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"I THINK I'LL JUST GO ON ANYWAY"

HEBREWS 6:1
Dr. Raymond Hancock [edited, enlarged, & adapted by Pastor Rick Jackson]
Paul was saying, "Don't stop at salvation...press for the mark... press on... go on anyway." The same thing Peter said when he said, "But grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ." The same thing Jesus did when he set His face as a flint toward Jerusalem. He told us in John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
We ought:
I. GO ON IN SPITE OF OPPOSITION [Eph. 6:12]
1. Seek to be the best Christian you can be [Phil. 3:14, Rm. 12:1-5]
2. Seek to perfect the ministry God has given you [Rm. 12:6-8]
3. Seek to perfect the the presence of Christ in your life [Rm. 12:9-21]
We will be tempted to quit because of the opposition but say instead, "I think I'll just go on anyways!"
II. GO ON IN SPITE OF EVERY TRIAL
1. Consider the Normality of Trials [1 Peter 4:12]
Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
2. Consider the Source of Trials [Job 1:9-2:10]
3. Consider the Satisfaction of Trials [1 Peter 1:7]
That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
James 5:11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy
We'll be tempted to quit because of trials but we should say, "I think I'll just go on anyway!"
III. GO ON IN SPITE OF TEARS
1. Because of Enemies [Psalm 6:6-8]
I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears. Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies. Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping.
2. Because of Lost Souls [Psalm 126:5-6]
They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.
Acts 20:31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.
3. Because of Death [Isaiah 25:8]
He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces;
Revelation 7:17 For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.
Rev. 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
4. Because of Sin [Jeremiah 13:17]
But if ye will not hear it, my soul shall weep in secret places for your pride; and mine eye shall weep sore, and run down with tears, because the Lord's flock is carried away captive.
31:16 Thus saith the LORD; Refrain thy voice from weeping, and thine eyes from tears: for thy work shall be rewarded, saith the LORD; and they shall come again from the land of the enemy.
5. Because of Heart Burden [Hebrews 5:7]
Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
We may well want to quit because of tears but we should say instead, "I think I'll just go on anyway!"
to be concluded...

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'