Thursday, June 04, 2009

The Bestest Birthday Present

It was my wife's birthday last November and we were going 60 miles away to St. Augustine (where we met) to celebrate. A lady we barely knew was in the hospital over there and I broached the subject about making a visit while we were in the area and my gracious wife agreed to make a hospital visit on her birthday.

Cheryl was in pretty good spirits as she hoped to get out soon and was feeling much better than she had been. I asked her, "If things hadn't gone so well and you weren't getting out of the hospital the easy way do you know for sure if you would go to Heaven?"

She said, "I hope so."

With her permission we shared the sweet story of God's love with her. We explained how we are all sinners [Rm. 3:32] and that because of our sin we had earned death [Rm. 6:23] and the Lake of Fire [Rev. 20:14]. The Good News is that God loves us and sent His Son to pay our sin debt [Rm. 5:8] on the cross. Jesus rose from the dead 3 days later proving He was Who He said He was-- God in the flesh, and that He did what He came to do which was pay for sins [Rm. 1:4, 16]. We then explained if she wanted she could call on the Lord and He would gladly become her personal Saviour and make her His child [Rm. 10:9-13, Jn. 1:12]!

Cheryl said she wanted to receive Him and my wife led her in a simple prayer! We rejoiced together, visited a while longer and left her with a prayer. She got out of the hospital and sent us a thank you card a few weeks later (which I still have) in which she thanked us for coming by and sharing God's love with her. So why am I sharing this November story with you in June? Ah, that's simple. I just found out last night that Cheryl has changed addresses. Last week she moved to Hallelujah Blvd. in the New Jerusalem.

When I told my wife Cheryl had passed away she said, "That's sad."

And I said, "No, that's glorious! Happy Birthday!"

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'