Tuesday, April 29, 2008

PEOPLE ARE FUNNY

Several years ago while in special service I heard a preacher say he knew a man that when asked, "How are you?" always replied, "Better than I deserve!" The more I thought about it the more I liked it! So, unless I just forget, "Better than I deserve!" has become my standard answer to the question, "How are you doing?"

I was in a doctor's office some months back and was asked by someone I know, "How are you doing?" I really didn't think they wanted a litany of my infirmities so I gave the most honest answer there is to that question... you guessed it... "Better than I deserve." Later this person was criticizing me behind my back to other mutual acquaintances for my "stupid" answer. They should know better. If I had said "Fine" no doubt they would have been happy with my answer even though it would have been dishonest on so many levels. Most Christians I know "get it" when they hear this response. They realize that apart from the grace of God we all deserve to be in Hell right now but by God's grace those who have received (Jn. 1:12) the Lord Jesus Christ are not only not there now, but they are not going there... ever!

Some people who take exception to the comment at least have the intestinal fortitude to comment to my face and more than once this has opened up the opportunity to share Christ with them. Christians should know better. People are funny.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'