Sunday, January 21, 2007

A QUESTION OF LEADERSHIP

I PETER 5:1-4

Moses had his leadership questioned repeatedly. David had his leadership questioned. Paul had his leadership questioned. It should therefore come as no surprise to me or any other person that I should have my leadership questioned. I am not the perfect pastor, the perfect man, the perfect husband, the perfect father... In fact I am not the perfect anything. The only perfect man to ever walk the earth, the Lord Jesus was God in the flesh and guess what? His leadership has been questioned! Wrongly of course, but questioned nonetheless.

I've had parents blame me for their children going bad even though they had them for a lot longer than I did. Some people tear the preacher down in front of others and then when they need him to help them with those others they wonder why he has no influence with them. I've had people criticize me for not preaching enough topical messages while others were criticizing me at the same time for preaching too many topical messages. I've had folks criticize me for doing things Lee Roberson "wouldn't agree with" and then they go and join a church Lee Roberson wouldn't agree with. Not that Lee Roberson (whom I respect) is the end all but what's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

Moses defended himself several times though he didn't seem to enjoy it. In the latter part of II Corinthians Paul defended himself. Though it was somewhat distasteful to him he did as the Spirit led him. Before I even finished preparing last Wednesday night's message the Lord had given me this message. I don't want to give it, I don't know what your reaction will be but I firmly believe this is the message the Lord has given me for this morning.

Peter says in verse 1, I am an elder writing to elders. I am a witness to Christ's sufferings and I write to people who will suffer (the whole book deals with suffering). I will partake in the glory to come. So listen fellows here's what you need to do.

I. FEED THE FLOCK FOR THE RIGHT REASON [V. 2]

1. Peter spoke from experience [v. 2, John 21:15-17]

So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.


For years our emphasis has been the Blood, the Book, and the Blessed Hope!

2. Peter spoke of avoiding a negative spirit [v. 2]

3. Peter spoke of a willing heart [v. 2]

Exodus 35:21 And they came, every one whose heart stirred him up, and every one whom his spirit made willing, and they brought the LORD's offering to the work of the tabernacle of the congregation, and for all his service, and for the holy garments

1 Chronicles 28:9 And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.

It's not just for leaders.

1 Chronicles 29:17 I know also, my God, that thou triest the heart, and hast pleasure in uprightness. As for me, in the uprightness of mine heart I have willingly offered all these things: and now have I seen with joy thy people, which are present here, to offer willingly unto thee.

Peter says not only for the right reason but:

II. LEAD FOR THE RIGHT MOTIVE [V. 2]

1. Not for financial gain

2. A ready mind to serve Christ

3. A realization of the Chief Shepherd [v. 4]

III. LEAD IN THE RIGHT MANNER [V. 3]

This is key in my philosophy of pastoral leadership. I have known a lot of dictator pastors. I have strived to not be one while at the same time exercising God-given authority. I am not perfect and I have never claimed to be. But I have strived to be an example as Peter says here and Paul said in I Tim. 4
12Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
13Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
14Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
15Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.
16Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.


So I have tried to be an example in my:

1. Associations- sound soul-winning preachers, no liberals, no ministerial association, not Baptist bride or other alienators. But practicing Ps. 119:63 I am a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts.

2. Activities- no movie theatres, no lying at Easter and Christmas, no helping Disney promote their gay days, no mixed swimming, no so-called Christian rock music, positive activities like trips to the Bill Rice Ranch for all ages, fellowships, banquets, etc.. Encouraging reading the Bible through every year, prayer, missions

3. Attitude- not legalistic rules but Biblical standards (strange how parents have fought me more on this than kids have only to have it backfire in their faces), loving discipline as a father, able to laugh but able to cry also, being a cheerful giver

No, I have not been perfect. You can like me or not like me. You can like my style or not like it. But ultimately however you respond it had better be Biblical:

For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
Rom. 14:7-12

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'