Friday, December 22, 2023

John R. Rice Quotes of the Week

 Many people suppose that Jesus did set up His kingdom when He was here on earth, that is, the prophesied restoration of the kingdom of David. They ignore some Scriptures and explain away others in trying to prove their point. Such people say that the promises in the Old Testament given to Jerusalem, Zion and Israel, must not be taken literally. They make all these promises refer to "the church." But that is a very great mistake. Mount Zion is the hill upon which Jerusalem is built. Zion, Jerusalem, and Israel never mean the church. The promised kingdom is not the church. Do not explain away the Bible, take it at face value. God's word says what it means and means what it says! And it plainly says that Christ will have a kingdom on this earth. That kingdom has not yet been set up. - John R. Rice


Jesus said plainly that God's love gift to the world was in order "that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life." Jesus did not come as a teacher, a philosopher, but to save people from their sins. When Nicodemus came to Jesus by night and said, "Rabbi, we know thou art a teacher come from God," Jesus abruptly answered, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:2, 3). What Nicodemus needed was not a teacher but a Saviour. He did not need a pattern; he needed a Redeemer. John R. Rice [Immanuel--God With Us, pg. 26]


I talked to a poor, troubled woman who sat with tears in a service in Dallas, Texas. I said, "Come on and trust in Jesus."
She said, "I can't."
I said, "Yes, you can. He loves you."
She said, "I can't. Don't torment me."
I said, "Yes, you can. Why not?"
She said, "I can't forget what I have done."
I turned to Hebrews, chapter 10, and read where He said, "I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them." Read where He said, "For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.' Then read where Jesus said, "Their sins and iniquities will I remember no more."
Then I said to her, "Do you see what Jesus is talking about? Not judgment but salvation. Not whether you are good or not, but salvation for everybody who wants it."
That troubled woman stopped her sobbing and said, "If He can forget it, I will too." And she came to trust the Saviour.
I am glad there is good news for everybody. The Scripture said, "Unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Ah, good news! And everybody can have Him if they will. - John R. Rice [Christmas Now and All the Year, pg. 17]


You can never truly enjoy Christmas until you can look up into the Father's face and tell him you have received his Christmas gift. -- John R. Rice [internet search]


There are those, I say it sadly, whom God has cursed. There are those who are already condemned. You ask, "Do you mean they cannot be saved?" No, no; I do not mean that. Oh, He is "not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance," says II Peter 3:9. God does not want anybody to be lost. God has paid too much for your soul to let you go. You are accursed because you will not let God save you, because you will not let God forgive you; you will not let God put a new heart in you. - John R. Rice [Sweet Family Ties in Heaven and Hell, pg. 219]


Make no mistake, the reason Jesus Christ came to this world was to save sinners. So the Apostle Paul wrote in 1 Timothy 1:15. So Jesus said, "I come not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance" (Luke 5:32; Matt. 9:13; Mark 2:17). - John R. Rice [Luke, pg. 40]


Oh, there are temptations that come at Christmas. Some people will be tempted to drink who never do through the year. Some people will be tempted to lewd revelry.
Make sure it is a holy time of setting yourself apart for God. Enjoy His blessings. Enjoy your loved ones. Enjoy the greetings and the carols. But be sure you enjoy Jesus Himself.
Is there someone who hears me who is not happy? Why don't you say, "I am going to be happy at Christmas because I will let Jesus come into my heart; I will let Him forgive my sins"? He will if you trust Him now. And if you take Him as Saviour and trust Him, He will save you. - John R. Rice [The Saviour Promised Has Come, pg. 18-19]



No comments:

 
mobile='yes'