Friday, December 22, 2017

John R. Rice Quotes of the Week

Listen to the words the angels bring: "For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." "I bring you good tidings of great joy." It would be wrong to be sad at Christmas. It is wrong to be sad any time. The Scripture says, "Rejoice evermore," and "In every thing give thanks." But surely as the Christmas time approaches there is many a reason for thanking God. - John R. Rice

Oh, there are temptations that come at Christmas. Some people will be tempted to drink who never do through the year. Some people will be tempted to lewd revelry.
Make sure it is a holy time of setting yourself apart for God. Enjoy His blessings. Enjoy your loved ones. Enjoy the greetings and the carols. But be sure you enjoy Jesus Himself.
Is there someone who hears me who is not happy? Why don't you say, "I am going to be happy at Christmas because I will let Jesus come into my heart; I will let Him forgive my sins"? He will if you trust Him now. And if you take Him as Saviour and trust Him, He will save you. - John R. Rice

Do you know what Jesus is born for? He is born a Redeemer. He is born to be a Saviour. Oh, churches everywhere are so anxious to teach the Bible, so anxious to have a moral standard, which is good; but why don't you get anxious about the one main thing Jesus came and died for--that is, to save sinners. - John R. Rice

You know, a long time ago I found God has a message for poor people everywhere. And I have had a great delight in preaching. It may be that some way I will be counted among the scholars. Never mind. I know I have five honorary doctor's degrees, and I am the author of many books, etc., and it may be somebody will think of John Rice as such a student of the Word and a scholar. But I want it known everywhere I was a man who preached to the poor and the ignorant and the sinful. Jesus came to bring the Gospel to the poor. I have rejoiced in that. - John R. Rice

It is true that a great many people do not honor Jesus Christ at Christmas. I think they greatly sin. Some people drink more liquor during Christmastime than at any other time in the year. That is a sin. Many business people think of Christmas only as a time to make money. In this they are wrong. Sometimes even Christian people tell the silly lie about Santa Claus and deceive little children with a heathen legend, when they could tell about the dear Lord Jesus. I think that is wickedness. A lie is always wrong and always hateful to God. - John R. Rice

Certainly to deceive little children with a lie about Santa Claus is a sin. No Christian ought to condone it. Here the truth is so much better than a lie. We should tell people that the dear Lord Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Yes people often dishonor God at Christmas. I am sorry they do. I hope no Christian who reads this will grieve God by such sins.
But we should not turn Christmas over to Satan and wicked people because some sin at Christmas. - John R. Rice

The rich have more money to spend for Christmas. They think they can bring happiness to their loved ones by giving diamonds, or automobiles, or other costly and beautiful gifts. But these things do not make Christmas. What makes Christmas is to have the Saviour. Thank God, the poor may have Him as readily as the rich! - John R. Rice

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'