Friday, September 15, 2017

John R. Rice Quotes of the Week



It would be silly to call a doctor, then when the doctor had examined you, to deny that you were sick, to scoff at the diagnosis and ignore the doctor's orders. So if you want peace with God and forgiveness from your sins, you must listen to what God says about you. You are a poor, condoned sinner. You ought to be in Hell and you will soon be there if you do not admit your sinful state and trust Jesus for forgiveness. - John R. Rice

In the little cow-town in West Texas where I went to school we marched out of the room in somewhat subdued, orderly fashion. But the understanding was that one was free to talk as soon as we got outside the building. So the first of the larger boys to reach the door would shout, "First batter!" and the next would cry, "Second batter!" We played "work-up" baseball.
Well, Paul cries, "I am the chief sinner!" If Jesus died for sinners, Paul boldly gets in his claim as early and as strong as he can! And I feel like shouting, "I am second sinner!" The blood of Jesus is for sinners and nobody else. Thank God, I have gotten in. I have confessed my sin and have looked to the blood of Jesus who has paid my debt. I am "only a sinner, saved by grace." - John R. Rice

There are sinners who feel that a religious "experience" may suddenly fall on them and they will find themselves saved. But they do not know how God works. That is not the way people are saved. No one is ever saved without a definite act of the will, a deliberate choice to accept and trust Jesus Christ. You see, you must open the door. How often this teaching is made plain in the Bible. - John R. Rice

In Alabama a man had a running sore break out on his cheek. The sore seemed incurable. It grew larger and worse. Surely, his friends said, it was cancer. He should have gone at once for radium treatment or surgery. But no, he read an ad in the paper where a quack doctor offered to sell a salve that would cure cancer. He bought the salve, boasted that he had saved the doctor's expense and the pain of surgery, and applied the salve diligently. The sore healed over on the outside, but went on with it's deadly work, and after awhile the man died of cancer. He would not call for help though he desperately needed it. So many sinners will not call on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation though they are wicked sinners in God's sight. - John R. Rice 

Oh, dear friend, if you only knew how long God had been calling you, you would not think that He would put you off when your heart earnestly cries to Him for mercy! God has been running you down, seeking you out, playing on your heart strings, wooing you tenderly all these years! So salvation is free for the asking, and everyone who calls gets saved. - John R. Rice

Fred Hawkins of Springfield, Missouri, drove me through southern Missouri and showed me place after place where he once drank with the boys. He tried again and again to break away from the habit but could not. Then one day he asked the Lord for a new heart and got it. God set him free. Choked with gratitude and with tears, he said to me, "Thanks God, I don't want it anymore. I don't need it! I am free!" - John R. Rice


I remember a man who had been saved from a life of drunkenness, whose broken home had been restored, who had gone back again to a respected life and a good job, after sin had pulled him down to ruin. Trying to express how happy and comforted he was, all of his days he said, "Why, I am happier now when I am sad than I used to be when I was glad!" - John R. Rice


No comments:

 
mobile='yes'