Wednesday, September 13, 2017

DON’T JUST SURVIVE... THRIVE

Pastor Rick Jackson

No matter what you are going through there is always someone who has had it worse. Most of us haven't begun to suffer as others have, we just seem to like to complain. Andrew Murray, a preacher and author from the 1800s was undergoing some severe trials. As he sought the Lord's face in prayer and meditation on the Word of God he wrote,

In Time of Trouble Say
First, God brought me here; it is by His will I am in this strait place: in that I will rest.
Next, He will keep me in His love, and give me grace in this trial to behave as His child.
Then, He will make the trial a blessing, teaching me the lessons He intends me to learn, and working in me the grace He means to bestow.
Last, In His good time He can bring me out again- how and when He knows.

I. REALIZATION

1. "GOD BROUGHT ME HERE" 

Jeremiah said, "I AM the man that hath seen affliction by the rod of his wrath. He hath led me, and brought me into darkness, but not into light. He hath set me in dark places, as they that be dead of old. ...He hath hedged me about, that I cannot get out: he hath made my chain heavy. This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. ...It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him." [Lam. 3]
Mordecai reminded Esther, "who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"

2. "IT IS BY HIS WILL I AM IN THIS STRAIT PLACE" 

1 Peter 3:17 For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

3. "IN THAT FACT WILL I REST" 

Psalm 37:7 Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.
Proverbs 3:5-7 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

II. ACCEPTANCE

1. "NEXT, HE WILL KEEP ME HERE IN HIS LOVE" 

1 Peter 1:5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
Revelation 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

2. "AND GIVE ME GRACE TO BEHAVE AS HIS CHILD" 

Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
2 Thessalonians 2:15-17 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle. Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

III. ASSURANCE

1. "THEN, HE WILL MAKE THE TRIAL A BLESSING" 

Acts 5:41 And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.
2 Thessalonians 1:5 Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

2. "TEACHING ME THE GRACE HE MEANS TO BESTOW" 

2 Corinthians 1:3-5 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.

IV. DELIVERANCE

1. "LAST, IN HIS GOOD TIME" 

Psalm 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

2. "HE CAN BRING ME OUT AGAIN-- HOW AND WHEN HE KNOWS" 

Job 13:15 Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.
Daniel 3:16-18 Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter. If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.


In short, Murray reminds us to, Say: 

"I am here-

1. By God's appointment

2. In His keeping.

3. Under His training.


4. For His time. "

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'