Wednesday, October 09, 2013

HAVE A LITTLE TALK WITH YOURSELF


                       EPH. 5:19                             Pastor Rick Jackson*

 

Talking to ourselves can seem silly at times but then there are those times when we need to have a little talk with ourselves. Some Bible Believer’s did just that.

Psalm 77:6 I call to remembrance my song in the night: I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search.

1 Samuel 30:6 … David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.

Nehemiah 5:7 Then I consulted with myself…

 

I. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY TO YOURSELF IN THE HOUR OF SUFFERING [1st Peter 4:16]

 

Wrong things-“why me?” “I quit” “I guess I’m just out of God’s will”

Right things – “Lord what do you have in this for me?” “God give me grace” “not my will but thine”

2 Cor. 12:1-9, Eph. 3:20, Rm. 8:28               God gives Promises NOT Explanations!

 

II. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY TO YOURSELF IN THE HOUR OF SUCCESS

 

Wrong way – the rich man [Lk. 12:16-21]

Right way – Joseph in the OT- his response was the same in the pit, in the prison, in the palace –his character didn’t change. We need to keep our priorities straight. Some quit tithing when they begin to make more money…

“We never need prayer more than when we think we need it less.” – Bob Kelley

Never question Biblical principles!

 

III. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY TO YOURSELF IN THE HOUR OF DECISION

 

1. Salvation [2 Cor. 6:2]

 

2. Sin [one night David didn’t say to himself the right thing-what if he had been practicing what he wrote in Ps. 1:2] Be careful what you say!

 

3. Sanctification & Service [Joshua 24:15, 1 Peter 3:15]

 

*Inspired by the late Dr. Bob Kelley

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'