Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Biblical ABC’s:X is for – X-factor

 
Ladies Bible Study by Mrs. Rick Jackson
 
 
 
I thought I would share with you a beautiful poem which will bring us to the theme of our letter “X” – 
 
I see my Lord in the Bible whenever I chance to look, He is the Theme of the Bible, the Center and Heart of the Book.  He is the Rose of Sharon; He is the Lily fair. Whenever I open the Bible, The Lord of the Bible is there.  He is the Book's beginning - gave the earth its form. He is the Ark of Safety that bears the brunt of the storm;  The Burning Bush in the desert, and the budding of Aaron's rod... 
Whenever I open the Bible, I see the Son of God.  The Ram upon Mount Moriah, the Ladder from earth to sky, The Scarlet Cord in the window, the Serpent lifted high;  The Smitten Rock in the desert, The Shepherd with staff and crook... Whenever I open the Bible, I see my Lord in The Book.  He is the Seed of the woman, The Saviour virgin born; He is the Son of David whom men rejected with scorn;  The Lord of Eternal Glory whom John the apostle saw, The Light of that Celestial City, the Lamb without spot or flaw;  The Bridegroom coming at midnight for whom His people look... Yes....whenever I open the Bible I see my Lord in the BOOK. 

Tonight….Let’s  look for Jesus in the BOOK...He is there! He is THE X-factor of the Word!Whenever I open the Bible, I see the son of God.  The Ram upon Mount Moriah, the Ladder from earth to sky , The Scarlet Cord in the window, the Serpent lifted high;  The Smitten Rock Rock in the desert, The Shepherd with staff and crook... Whenever I open the Bible, I see my Lord in The Book.  He is the Seed of the woman, The Saviour virgin born; He is the Son of David whom men rejected with scorn;  The Lord of eternal glory whom John the apostle saw, The Light of that Celestial City, the Lamb without spot or flaw;  The Bridegroom coming at midnight for whom His people look... Yes....whenever I open the Bible I see my Lord in the BOOK.  Read the Word today...and Look for Jesus...He is there..... Whenever I open the Bible, I see the son of God.  The Ram upon Mount Moriah, the Ladder from earth to sky , The Scarlet Cord in the window, the Serpent lifted high;  The Smitten Rock Rock in the desert, The Shepherd with staff and crook... Whenever I open the Bible, I see my Lord in The Book.  He is the Seed of the woman, The Saviour virgin born; He is the Son of David whom men rejected with scorn;  The Lord of eternal glory whom John the apostle saw, The Light of that Celestial City, the Lamb without spot or flaw;  The Bridegroom coming at midnight for whom His people look... Yes....whenever I open the Bible I see my Lord in the BOOK.  Read the Word today...and Look for Jesus...He is there. 
 
 
 
  1. Jesus is the EXtreme sacrifice 
 
Sometimes it is good for us to stop and remember just what a blessing it is to have a Saviour, and exactly what He did for us!  Jesus is the EXtreme sacrifice. 
 
Ephesians 5:2 – “And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. 
 
There is a wonderful passage in the book of Hebrews which pictures beautifully what Christ did for us – look with me at Hebrews 9, beginning at verse 19. 
 
19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people, 
Now, let’s picture in our mind’s eye Moses, standing before the tablernacle, preparing the sacrifice – can you see it? 20 Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you. 21 Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry.   (show in motion) 22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. 23 It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us: 25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; 26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. 
You see, the priests had to sacrifice EVERY year, Christ’s sacrifice was fulfilled ONCE! 27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: 28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation. 
Yes, Jesus is the EXtreme sacrifice! 
 
 
  1.  Jesus is EXactly what I need 
 
In the 3rd chapter of Luke, John the Baptist was preparing sinners for baptism, and in answer to their question of what they needed to do, it says in verse 13, “And he said unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you.”  In other words, do no more than what is required.  Which is what?  What is required? What do I need?  I say to you, Jesus is EXactly what I need. 
 
Look with me and see the words of Jesus in Revelation 21: 
 
5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. 
 
We also read in Mark 2:17, “When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. 
 
Jesus is EXactly what I need for salvation.    Have you met Him at the cross?      
 
Jesus is EXactly what I need for every aspect of my life.  Philippians 4:19 says, “But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”  And should we find that we do not have exactly what we need (how is that possible – we have Jesus?) Hebrews 4:16 tells us, “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” 
 
We must remember, Jesus is EXactly what I need. 
 
 
  1.   Jesus is highly Exalted 
 
Paul reminds us in the Book of Philippians that we have so much for which to praise and thank Jesus.  That’s why I just wanted us to step back and minute tonight and do exactly that – remember the Cross, remember the sacrifice that brought about our victory – that keeps us from the fires of Hell.  For all of this, the Bible says, Jesus is highly Exalted! 
 
Look with me again at Philippians, this time Chapter 2, beginning in verse 5 --  
 
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:  6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. 
 
Isn’t that an interesting statement in verse 9God also hath highly EXalted him? God the Father has given the place of “highest” position to the Son!! And why is that? Because of the Son’s sacrifice – of taking your place and mine and being obedient to death on the cross!  That gives me pause!  We should join with God the Father, and highly EXalt Jesus for what He has done for us! 
 
 
  1. Jesus is the EXcellent One 
 
Let’s look at Hebrews chapter one -- 
 
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; 4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. 
 
Jesus is the EXcellent One! His name is more EXcellent than even the angels!! What a wonderful Saviour is mine!!  Again, this is what we find in Philippians chapter one, 
 
8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. 9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ; 11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God. 
 
Since we serve an EXcellent Saviour, it stands to reason that our actions should, in turn, be EXcellent!  Paul says that means we should be filled with the fruits of righteousness.  James 3:17 & 18 says, “But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.  Finally, here is what we find in Philippians 3:8 & 9 – Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith.” 
 
You see, Jesus is the EXcellent One! And He expects me, having accepted Him as my Saviour, to display His Righteousness in my life!   
 
 
  1.   Jesus is the Great Example 
 
Jesus told His disciples in John 13:15For I have given you an example, that ye should do as ° I have done to you.”  And, again, we read in 1 Peter 2:21, “For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps.” 
 
Tonight we have seen these great truths – 
 
  1. Jesus is the EXtreme sacrifice 
  2. Jesus is EXactly what I need 
  3. Jesus is highly EXalted 
  4. Jesus is the EXcellent One 
  1. Jesus is the Great EXample 
 
Now, it is up to us to go out and live these truths!!

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'